Panel Bonding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 3m kit - it has the gun, a 200ml tube of 8116, and 6 extra nozzles. I used it to attach a cab corner on my s10. This is my first time not welding a panel like this on. It seemed to work great for what I am typically doing, just patching stuff together to keep it going. Time will tell though...

Any input?

You must be registered for see images attach

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 3m kit - it has the gun, a 200ml tube of 8116, and 6 extra nozzles. I used it to attach a cab corner on my s10. This is my first time not welding a panel like this on. It seemed to work great for what I am typically doing, just patching stuff together to keep it going. Time will tell though...

Any input?

You must be registered for see images attach
A friend of mine swears by that stuff. They use it at his shop with great results he claims.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it did lower door patches and outer box above wheel patches and cab corners with lord fusor and its awesome no warpage to deal with and sealed from moisture

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
HEY! is this paintable? I actually have all the lower cab panels, real panels not patches. they do need to be welded in. but before I got all those panels I was doing some of my own "red neck" 20 foot truck body work but body work that should not rot. anyways this truck is not on the road right now as it's my farm truck. theres only a couple things preventing me from getting it safeties, a cab corner and it needs a new fuel pump. if I keep the tank full it doesn't leak down and I dont actually need it... soooooo just a cab corner... I do plan welding in all those body panels and lifting the box for the FP and to complete the cab corner body work, but in the meantime...... I could get a patch and glue it on. SWEET! i have tried to patch it a couple ways but it didnt stick and I kicked it all in. LOL

I get pissed that I havent got this truck on the road yet but the weather and money keeps getting in the way. i have a shop but it wont fit my trucks.... LOL.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
from 3m's Canada site. it dosent say anything about being paintable? but it does sound like a great product that was designed exactly for this application so I must be paintable as it is an epoxy, right?

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/co...-8-fl-oz-200-ml-/?N=5002385+3293546284&rt=rud

Specifications:
Adhesive Type
Epoxy
Applications
Bonding
Brand
3M™
Consistency
Paste
Container Type
Cartridge
Volume (Imperial)
6.8 fl oz
Volume (metric)
200 mL
Work Time
90 Minutes
Details
  • Two-part epoxy
  • Extended work time
  • Cures rapidly with heat
  • Excellent adhesion to a wide variety of plastics and metals
3M™ Automix® Panel Bonding Adhesive is a two-part epoxy used to bond steel, aluminum, sheet molded compound (SMC), and fibreglass reinforced polyester (FRP). The primary use is to replace quarter panels, roofs, box sides, van sides, utility vehicle sides and door skins. This adhesive provides extended work time, but can also be rapidly cured with heat. Use with 3M™ Premium Manual Applicator, 08117, and 3M™ Static Mixing Nozzles, 08193.

Suggested Applications
  • Used to replace quarter panels, roofs, box sides, van sides, utility vehicle sides and door skins
  • Can be used for bumper cover repair under certain conditions