Painted my truck with turbo cans lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notjoken

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I've done the Rustoleum Turbo paint job a few times myself.

It's kinda ironic that I'm an actual Autobody Technician now
I think those look good. I need to do mine. I was wondering how the Rustoleum would work out.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
How many cans did it take to do a full truck? They seem to be very expensive. I was planning to use a compressor to spray as even spray cans are getting crazy expensive

I was about to say. Three years ago I resprayed the roof on my truck (Just a regular cab) and spent over $200 on color matched rattle-can base coat in addition to etch primer, primer sealer and clearcoat. That's not counting all the materials I burned up prepping & cleaning the thing either.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think those look good. I need to do mine. I was wondering how the Rustoleum would work out.
I wouldn't do it again unless it was a proper beater.

If you are going through the trouble of fixing rust or an dents, at least pick up a harbor freight paint gun as well as some tractor paint with hardener.

It'll look 20 times and will not delaminate as easily as rustoleum.

Also, if you were ever to paint it properly in the future, you wouldn't need to strip the whole truck to bear metal.
(Never put automotive paint over rustoleum)
The key to this whole operation is the hardener.

A rusted out beater like my '88 is the type of vehicle you do a paint job like this too, no chance of it ever getting restored.

(Admit it, the license plates were badass).

Last edited:

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it again unless it was a proper beater.

If you are going through the trouble of fixing rust or an dents, at least pick up a harbor freight paint gun as well as some tractor paint with hardener.

It'll look 20 times and will not delaminate as easily as rustoleum.

Also, if you were ever to paint it properly in the future, you wouldn't need to strip the whole truck to bear metal.
(Never put automotive paint over rustoleum)
The key to this whole operation is the hardener.

This is wise advice that a lot don't consider. A person may get something to seal over it, but it'll never be right unless its all removed.

Ive not bought from this company, or tried their stuff before, but thinking about going back to factory indigo on my truck. Just thought I'd share the links for ya'll talking about other options.

Single stage enamel or urethane kit for example. Probably not the best stuff, but I can also put on two gallons for what some of the other named stuff costs. A friend used it recently and said what they had covered nice. I haven't seen the truck. They have other factory colors, and two stage.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know much about paint but I do know rustoleum doesn't belong on cars. Plenty of accounts of people all over the internet painting their cars with it because it's cheap but then it fades and peels in a couple years.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The biggest problem with rattle cans and tractor paint is hardener and not being UV stable. This can be slightly overcome with tractor paint because it uses a real hardener but you can cheat and add about 10% clear and it helps but it isn't right.

MBRZ71

Reaction score
I always finish my paint can projects with some clear coat. The rustoleum clear gloss claims to have some UV protection. My yard gate was painted about 5 years ago and the brutal AZ sun hasn't destroyed it yet.

Was your truck originally white? Did you use primer?