90’ SS truck paint revival.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

Just wanted to share some photos from today, this beauty appeared in my neighbors driveway. After talking for a bit and some convincing to let me try my magic on it before he painted it, this is what I got!

BEFORE:
You must be registered for see images attach

AFTER:

If anyone is interested I’ll post more photos for viewing pleasure. But I hope y’all enjoy! This is just the beginning, the neighbor was absolutely blown away as he didn’t think it would clean up at all. He’s given me free rein with it for now. I plan on getting some more polish/compound ordered that will cut a little better so I can work this paint.

Everything used was “Adam’s Polish” brand if anyone is curious, can give details upon request.

Another one saved!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Texas sun is not kind to old paint....but that came out NICE!
Too bad Abilene is so damn far from Houston, or I'd let you work some of that magic on Rawhide. Clearcoat going bad on the hood, top, and upper edges of doors and front fenders. Some flaking on the hood....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 15

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Texas sun is not kind to old paint....but that came out NICE!
Too bad Abilene is so damn far from Houston, or I'd let you work some of that magic on Rawhide. Clearcoat going bad on the hood, top, and upper edges of doors and front fenders. Some flaking on the hood....

Next time I’m gonna be in Houston for a few days visiting family I’ll stop on by for a couple hours with the buffer!

No seriously you’d be surprised how much you can wake up old clearcoat and paint. I’ve wet sanded old clearcoat then shot it with some professional stuff from an aerosol can then blended it back into the original stuff. Looks fantastic.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No seriously you’d be surprised how much you can wake up old clearcoat and paint. I’ve wet sanded old clearcoat then shot it with some professional stuff from an aerosol can then blended it back into the original stuff. Looks fantastic.

I absolutely agree! And as long as the color coat is non-metallic, I've also wet sanded old clearcoat, reshot/blended it in,
wet-sanded that, buffed it out, and made a huge improvement in how the vehicle looked. Paint booth perfect? No way.
But turning a 50 footer into a 5 footer is well worth the time & effort. Great practice, too, for more normal vehicles.

Keep up the great work. I bet your neighbor is on cloud 9... :0)

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a little satin black rustoleum-“restoration in a can” would clean up the wheel wells :cool:

I agree. Wheelwells that catch my eye (and taking away from the corrected paint job)
always get the satin wheelwell upgrade. Especially if I have also taken the time to clean
the wheels.

For whatever reason, before doing this the truck looks like a freshly waxed old vehicle.
After? It looks more like a garage kept survivor? Big overall improvement for short money...

Can't wait to see how far this cool truck will be taken by the OP. Super start!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another one saved!
Greetings Z71Brother,

I've always been into classic new car/truck brochures. For me, they are the intersection of
2 of my favorite hobbies. Listen, that last photo, with the reflection from the sunset
highlighting the paint, is brochure quality. Nice photo of nice work.

Speaking of which, in another thread I shared a favorite photo of mine (but I didn't take it)
of a very similar truck. Be sure to share this with your neighbor. (big bank 454 SS)

What the heck. See if he wants to join this forum? The more the merrier!

And good on you for helping to save another one. :)

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mmmhmm, do love me a good paint correction.

That turned out great, and of course the crowd demands more photos!

I think a little satin black rustoleum-“restoration in a can” would clean up the wheel wells :cool:
More photos as requested then! I’ll photo dump a bunch but it will take me awhile as I’m limited to like 5 at a time.

Those wheels will hopefully be on my bench sooner than later and I’m going to do a full clean/polish on them so they will blind you in traffic haha. Agreed on the wheel wells as well with the rustoleum.