Paint nightmare story. Long post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayboney

Reaction score
So I have a 96' Tahoe that was white from factory. Past year or so the paint started peeling I needed to get it repainted, shopped around found a guy that I kind of know through a buddy, he has a shop.

We agreed on price of around $8,500 for a full repaint with a color change (nardo grey) this was back on May 23rd.

He's been telling me for the last three Fridays that it will be done "next Friday". Yesterday he called to tell me all paint is done and just needs to install glass trim ect. He sent me these pictures.
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks great except for one problem it's the wrong color!

l called him to tell him that it was the wrong color, he froze and then said he was going to have to call me back. 15 minutes later he called me back and tried convincing me that it looks way better being white and then It'll have far greater resale value. I told him I didn't care about any of that and that was not what I wanted. After more back and forth he said he'd be willing to knock $1,300 off the price making it $7,200 out the door with a color I didn't want! After thinking about it for quite some time I offered him 5k for the current color job, he said no way he couldn't lose money. So now he's going to repaint it says he'll have it to me in 2 weeks but I'm not holding my breath! Sheesh what kind of luck is this?

Attachments

• IMG_20220827_145810_01.jpg
    IMG_20220827_145810_01.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 16

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a 96' Tahoe that was white from factory. Past year or so the paint started peeling I needed to get it repainted, shopped around found a guy that I kind of know through a buddy, he has a shop.

We agreed on price of around $8,500 for a full repaint with a color change (nardo grey) this was back on May 23rd.

He's been telling me for the last three Fridays that it will be done "next Friday". Yesterday he called to tell me all paint is done and just needs to install glass trim ect. He sent me these pictures.

Looks great except for one problem it's the wrong color!

l called him to tell him that it was the wrong color, he froze and then said he was going to have to call me back. 15 minutes later he called me back and tried convincing me that it looks way better being white and then It'll have far greater resale value. I told him I didn't care about any of that and that was not what I wanted. After more back and forth he said he'd be willing to knock $1,300 off the price making it $7,200 out the door with a color I didn't want! After thinking about it for quite some time I offered him 5k for the current color job, he said no way he couldn't lose money. So now he's going to repaint it says he'll have it to me in 2 weeks but I'm not holding my breath! Sheesh what kind of luck is this?

So, he's going to repaint it to the correct color — which basically means another color change? Aaaand how exactly does he plan on not losing money in that scenario?

Sounds like you're going to have to sue the guy in small claims court. This certainly isn't going to end well. I can't fathom how a painter could be that stupid. How do you not triple-check before (1) purchasing the paint, (2) prepping the paint (e.g., mixing it), and (3) shooting the paint? He had three opportunities to see it was the incorrect paint. Again, stupid.

Last edited:

Jayboney

Reaction score
So, he's going to repaint it to the correct color — which basically means another color change? Aaaand how exactly does he plan on not losing money in that scenario?

Sounds like you're going to have to sue the guy in small claims court. This certainly isn't going to end well. I can't fathom how a painter could be that stupid. How do you not triple-check before (1) purchasing the paint, (2) prepping the paint (e.g., mixing it), and (3) shooting the paint? He had three opportunities to see it was the incorrect pain. Again, stupid.
Exactly! I'm not sure what the thought process is. Hopefully it won't come to legal action.