overheated in -20 weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I suspected as much... Good luck to him...
In fact I *have* a spare 6.1 Hemi, transmission, PCM, wiring harness, and a number of other needed items if OP cares to give up on his current engine and install one with superior power.. and I'll even include a coolant bleeder screw. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or just install a Robertshaw thermostat, that has a stamped air-bleed. Makes for easier cooling system service since air readily passes the closed thermostat, but very little coolant would flow. That way, engine warm-up is essentially unaffected.

Unless your head gasket leaks, or you have a cracked casting, there is no air in the water jacket of the engine two seconds after the thermostat opens for the first time after cooling system service. All the air is now in the radiator, where it's seen as "low coolant level".
the hole is a common thing yes, if you had no hole you can drill one or it was a small valve in that spot, its called a jiggle pin

drbizerk

Reaction score
Man scratching my head here. Conditions were poor to say the least out. I had my trucked plugged in all night and when I started it, it seemed to bog down a little but then ran with a whine for a bit that went away. Figured it was just cold. and actually had just put a fancy new thermostat in for second time because it seemed to overheat sometimes when it was cold out. tested my antifreeze and it tested good. Made it part way to work and it overheated. Pegged the gauge actually. I let it cool off and removed the radiator cap. I put everything I had in to the radiator and and fired it up. I looked down in the radiator and the coolant was just sitting there. I couldn't see any external leaks. I am wondering if the waterpump(which is also new) is not turning. Also I don't have any antifreeze in my engine oil. Hoping I didn't hurt it.
Frozen. Drive around the block once and park it to let it thaw it self out.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Last time I bought a house-brand thermostat from AutoZone (for a TBI engine), it had a jiggle valve/pin in it already. None of my previous ones ever did. :think:

Appreciated the extra engineering, no problems with it thus far.

travisc406

Reaction score
Alright was away for a bit but here is what I did. And it is 5.7 in a 1988 Chevy. I had to shotgun parts on it being i was in a snowbank working on it in -10 degrees. I put a new waterpump, thermostat, and a put a tee in the highest heater hose on the block as well as a new radiator cap. I filled the block first through the thermostat hole after installing the water pump and then put thermostat in. I then filled the radiator up with the bleed tee in the heater hose and closed it when coolant was flowing through it. I filled the radiator and drove it home. Of course the gauge was fluctuating as I drove it home but never went hot. I pulled inspection cover on the waterpump and impeller was still attached and it spun. wasn't as free as new waterpump but nothing stood out to me. I then went to check theromstat and I really couldn't tell anything on it. the new thermostat I put in was a 195. I waited until it warmed up outside and parked my truck on a hill and removed the radiator cap and blocked the radiator until it opened the thermostat and it took about half a gallon to fill up the radiator. I then capped off and took a long drive. It seemed to fix it but every morning the first time the thermostat opens when its cold outside it has to climb to almost 210 before it opens and then it will stay to what looks like 195 for the rest of the trip to work. IDK why but it bugs the crap out of me. I keep checking everyday to make sure the radiator is filled up and it is full. I think its fixed but it bugs the crap out of me that it climbs to 210 on first thermo open.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright was away for a bit but here is what I did. And it is 5.7 in a 1988 Chevy. I had to shotgun parts on it being i was in a snowbank working on it in -10 degrees. I put a new waterpump, thermostat, and a put a tee in the highest heater hose on the block as well as a new radiator cap. I filled the block first through the thermostat hole after installing the water pump and then put thermostat in. I then filled the radiator up with the bleed tee in the heater hose and closed it when coolant was flowing through it. I filled the radiator and drove it home. Of course the gauge was fluctuating as I drove it home but never went hot. I pulled inspection cover on the waterpump and impeller was still attached and it spun. wasn't as free as new waterpump but nothing stood out to me. I then went to check theromstat and I really couldn't tell anything on it. the new thermostat I put in was a 195. I waited until it warmed up outside and parked my truck on a hill and removed the radiator cap and blocked the radiator until it opened the thermostat and it took about half a gallon to fill up the radiator. I then capped off and took a long drive. It seemed to fix it but every morning the first time the thermostat opens when its cold outside it has to climb to almost 210 before it opens and then it will stay to what looks like 195 for the rest of the trip to work. IDK why but it bugs the crap out of me. I keep checking everyday to make sure the radiator is filled up and it is full. I think its fixed but it bugs the crap out of me that it climbs to 210 on first thermo open.
prob just the fact your engine is cold and that first open is with colder fluid on the other side than any other opening situation. if it behaves fine and 210 isnt hot even, id call it a finished job.
is your overflow hose ok?

travisc406

Reaction score
It seems to be I pulled the hose and checked to see if I could get coolant to flow out of the hose and it did. but it never seems to move from where I fill it.