overheated in -20 weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
6.1 Hemi water pump housing has a bleeder built-in. It's an allen head plug that is usually seized by the time you need to use it, so it rounds out instead of loosening. I beat mine to the punch by installing this sweet Swagelok stainless bleeder valve, just turn the cap. :) They really do need the bleeder though as apparently the reservoir cap isn't the highest point in the system.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just install a Robertshaw thermostat, that has a stamped air-bleed. Makes for easier cooling system service since air readily passes the closed thermostat, but very little coolant would flow. That way, engine warm-up is essentially unaffected.

Unless your head gasket leaks, or you have a cracked casting, there is no air in the water jacket of the engine two seconds after the thermostat opens for the first time after cooling system service. All the air is now in the radiator, where it's seen as "low coolant level".

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
6.1 Hemi water pump housing has a bleeder built-in. It's an allen head plug that is usually seized by the time you need to use it, so it rounds out instead of loosening. I beat mine to the punch by installing this sweet Swagelok stainless bleeder valve, just turn the cap. :) They really do need the bleeder though as apparently the reservoir cap isn't the highest point in the system.

Richard
Yep that seems to be a Mopar thing. My old Intrepid with the 3.5 had one in the water outlet, and it was definitely necessary! The factory manual recommended using a long piece of vinyl tubing to bleed the system with.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old school Chevy thermostats DO NOT work on Vortec 5.7 motors.
They REQUIRE the two-stage type like the 5.7 LT1 motors like these pictured.
One is MotoRad ,and the other is Mishimoto... Either one is fine..

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some cars have cooling systems that trap bubbles; and they generally have bleeder valves on the high spots. These trucks don't.
I don't want to correct you because 9.9 times out of 10 you are correct but I am this time. "Some" of these trucks do have bleeders. The 6.5 platform has them on the t-stat housing.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Be nice if we could all be talking about the same motor ,huh...
Assuming poster is referring to a 5.7 Vortec ,but maybe not....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to correct you because 9.9 times out of 10 you are correct but I am this time. "Some" of these trucks do have bleeders. The 6.5 platform has them on the t-stat housing.
Valid point, if he has a diesel.
Be nice if we could all be talking about the same motor ,huh...
Assuming poster is referring to a 5.7 Vortec ,but maybe not....
I looked through this thread twice. The original poster has never bothered to mention which vehicle, or engine, he has.