overheated in -20 weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

travisc406

Reaction score
Man scratching my head here. Conditions were poor to say the least out. I had my trucked plugged in all night and when I started it, it seemed to bog down a little but then ran with a whine for a bit that went away. Figured it was just cold. and actually had just put a fancy new thermostat in for second time because it seemed to overheat sometimes when it was cold out. tested my antifreeze and it tested good. Made it part way to work and it overheated. Pegged the gauge actually. I let it cool off and removed the radiator cap. I put everything I had in to the radiator and and fired it up. I looked down in the radiator and the coolant was just sitting there. I couldn't see any external leaks. I am wondering if the waterpump(which is also new) is not turning. Also I don't have any antifreeze in my engine oil. Hoping I didn't hurt it.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Take the belt off and spin the water pump by hand. If it feels weird pull it and check.

If the impeller came loose it will likely hit the inside of the pump.

Put the thermostat in a pan of water with the copper cylinder up. Make sure it opens before the water boils.

Make sure the thermostat has a bleed hole. An air pocket will delay thermostat opening.

Double check the block heater(s).

A 50/50 mix of antifreeze will not freeze @ -34F. Radiators are effected by wind chill but not as much as humans.

A temporary cover over the grille that gets removed prior to driving can help if you can't park where the truck is affected.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 5.7 suburban, was the thermostat didnt open as it should and the bleed hole was clogged, might be worth a look! :)

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Was there a bunch of snow and ice packed in front of the radiator blocking air flow?

Had that happen to an s10 blazer with the small grill opening. Punched out the snow and ice and it cooled right down.

travisc406

Reaction score
it got that hot she was boiling. The thermostat is the second one I have put in had similar issue as this before a week ago in bad weather and I pulled the thermostat and ran it home. Now it seems that it isn't circulating at all due to it isn't showing any movement in radiator.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, I think that a new radiator is in my future because I can see the coolant moving, it just won't cool. Thermostat or not, makes no difference, it gets hot.
I'd say you are on the right track checking the water pump.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Seems that anytime the cooling systems in these trucks are drained, even just enough to change a thermostat, they develop air pockets.
If the H2o pump was cavitating, it wasn't moving coolant.
It can take a bit sometimes to work the air out.
One of the ways that helps reduce the prob is to have the rad fill neck higher than the rest of the cooling system. When refilling, park the truck facing up a hill, a steep-ish driveway, some jack stands or ramps, whatever. Even then it may take a bit.
Fill the rad, replace the cap on the first notch only & let the truck run for 5 minutes or so. Remove the cap & add more coolant as needed. Might take 3 or 4 rounds to get all the air out.
I'm also curious if you had any heat in the cab.
The heater hoses in these trucks are prone to plugging up.
Once the thermostat opens (If it is even working.) are the heater hoses warm for their full length? Squeeze 'em. Hard. Do they sound crunchy inside like they're full Corn Flakes? If so, replace them along with the heater core.
If the hoses are really bad, once the new ones are installed, it'd probably be a good time to back-flush the whole system. That stuff plugging the heater hoses is more than likely reducing the flow if not completely plugging the passages within the block & the rad too.

Jeff Janssen

Reaction score
I'd want to test your antifreeze... sometimes after a lot of boil overs/add water etc trying to figure out a cooling problem I end up with too much water and not enough anitifreeze. I had a vehicle boil over once because of that. Turns out the Radiator was full of slush and the block was so hot it blew a hose off. (It couldn't push the slush through the system I guess). It was a cold day out and it happened only about 5 mins after I left the house.