Out of the blue. Transmission gone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Help. I'll try to make this short as i can. Everything has been fine with the exception on transmission being slow to go into drive. Noticed a whine somewhere that faintly sounds like power steering fluid low. Wasn't fluid just couldnt pinpoint the faint whine. Transmission fluid fine but die for change. Was taking short drive and was slowing down for a turn and sounded like rear brakes were eat to nothing. The noise was intermediate. Assumed brakes in rear so checked and were fine. Thought axle bearing, or pinion bearing, all fine. Crawled under and noise seemed to from tail shaft. I'll post video if I can. Seems worse in reverse. Backed truck outta garage and then no reverse. Finally went in and backed up. Put into drive and grinding was bad and truck lunged forward. No reverse again. Parked it for half hour and then reversed worked so parked it out of the way and there she sets. Never had a problem, no leaks and not abused. Although 200000 miles. Any ideas?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grinding means hard parts damage, so no easy fixes. I would pull the driveshaft off to check for stripped splines on the output shaft, though I don't expect you to find anything. Short of that, drop the trans and disassemble to find your culprit. Sunshell is a possibility, as is the low/reverse drum.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might have got lucky had you caught it earlier. It sounds like the filter was plugging up or the filer isn't sealing properly to the tranny. Unfortunately it starved and grinding is a bad sign. When they start whining that often occurs because of a lack of fluid. The reason why you temporarily had reverse is because all of crap dropped away from the filter when not running or because of the fluid height being above the filter until the fluid got sucked down to the normal levels or thinned enough from heat to leak internally.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So would there be any use to pull the pan and take a look or just pull it out and rebuild it or buy a new one? Sounds like it's gone from what I've read. I have rebuilt several Th350 transmissions, any difference with the 4l60e? Same tools, procedures? Thanks

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the pan. All looked normal but filter was definitely getting clogged. Also found about a dozen small what looks like cylindrical bearings. I did move truck up into garage last night and pulled fine and forward and reverse worked as should. Any ideas? Gonna try new filter and fluid and see. But what are the bearing looking things.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ick that looks expensive, had a 4L60 E built summer of 2012 for first 99 Burb, was $3500 & change. Don't know how great a job they did; it ran fine, but pulled the trans after the truck got totalled 4 months later. It looks like it leaks everywhere and there is a maroon puddle around it in the garage.....The shop had done several vehicles for us but don't think I will use them anymore

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those rollers are short, very small. My vote is that a Torrington bearing shelled out.
They are really small, maybe 1/16 across and 1/8 long. I counted 12 of them. Surprisingly there wasn't much metal in the pan or suspended in the fluid. Like I said I drove it up the hill to the garage so I could pull the pan. It went right into gear, forward and reverse. Hopefully I can put a new filter and fluid in this weekend. I miss my truck something terrible. Been driving the Tahoe but it is ****** me on gas, but gas is down to $1.35 here in town. Thanks for all the help. Prayers for all during these trying times.