Out of the blue. Transmission gone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Put the pan on... then put a jack under it and remove the transmission from your truck...those rollers either support a shaft or absorb thrust....its not gonna go 5 miles before turning into a mess ..you have a pan full of catastrophic failure .... rebuild or replace ....

This is a bingo. You're just going to make it more expensive to fix.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I found. Planetary and sun gear issues. Any suggestions on best rebuild kit?
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Here is what I found. Planetary and sun gear issues. Any suggestions on best rebuild kit?

Mmm looks expensive

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all that, you'd be money ahead buying a junkyard trans and putting the kit in it. Very likely that just the planetary and sun gear set will cost as much as a core transmission. That said, Transmission Bench (who also have a complete 4L60E teardown and rebuild video series on YouTube) offer a good selection of kits, and TruTech on eBay sell kits at reasonable prices. I've only used TruTech, but will probably buy from Transmission Bench next time just to support their work making easily understood video manuals available to us all.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With all that, you'd be money ahead buying a junkyard trans and putting the kit in it. Very likely that just the planetary and sun gear set will cost as much as a core transmission. That said, Transmission Bench (who also have a complete 4L60E teardown and rebuild video series on YouTube) offer a good selection of kits, and TruTech on eBay sell kits at reasonable prices. I've only used TruTech, but will probably buy from Transmission Bench next time just to support their work making easily understood video manuals available to us all.
I had found the Transmission Bench videos prior to the posting. I completely tore down the transmission and inspected every part.the only damage I could find was the reverse planetary gears along with its ring gear, the reverse sun gear had very light kicks on it as well, makes sense as its all one assemble. I did order the Transmission Bench kit as b it came with about everything including a video on the 4l60e as well as many different other transmissions so that may be useful in the future. I found all the damaged hard parts in a complete kit from Global transmission for less than 75.00.
Everything should be here by next Thursday. I'll post some pictures as I progress through it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had found the Transmission Bench videos prior to the posting. I completely tore down the transmission and inspected every part.the only damage I could find was the reverse planetary gears along with its ring gear, the reverse sun gear had very light kicks on it as well, makes sense as its all one assemble. I did order the Transmission Bench kit as b it came with about everything including a video on the 4l60e as well as many different other transmissions so that may be useful in the future. I found all the damaged hard parts in a complete kit from Global transmission for less than 75.00.
Everything should be here by next Thursday. I'll post some pictures as I progress through it.

$75 seems awfully cheap, then again I'm leery of "refurbished" planetary sets in general. They may be good as new, though, and I'm just paranoid. Anyhow, glad you found what you needed and look forward to the build.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, here we go. All parts arrived this morning. Too bad its cold today. Really happy with what I ordered from both companies. I will say the transmission bench order was a drop ship from Whatever It Takes Transmission. So may be cheaper directly from them. But the video included was well worth anything extra. This will probably take a few days to complete working when I have spare time. Anybody know where the round red ball in the picture with the steps go? Along with that little fireball was message on the box. Im impressed with what I got so let's get to assembling this thing, I miss driving my old truck. Wish me luck.