Out of the blue. Transmission gone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok here i set hours later. Trying to put the snap ring in the very bottom to retain the spring cage. This is impossible, two different sets of plies and tried straight, 45 and 90 degree tips. Is there a secret?

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gave up on the snap ring after 6 hours and a lot of bad words. Guess ill take it to a transmission shop and have them put the ring in for me. I can't stand another day like today. I knew that one ring would give me trouble.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got 1/3 of it together. Took case, spring cage and snap ring to local shop, tool them 30 seconds. They have the nice expensive tools to do the job. Guy didn't even charge me. Got all bottom half in pretty easy. Next hurdle was the snap ring that hold the rear shift in. It wasn't bad though it did take about a dozen tries. Here are some pics of the progress. More tomorrow if anyone is interested.
You must be registered for see images attach

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok ive got a problem somebody help. Finished the rebuild and installed in truck. Had a hard time getting starter back on. Just no room to move it. Finally got it in and hooked up battery. Turned the key an nothing. I have full power to everything but no crank from starter. Not even a click, nothing. My only other issue was pulling the plugs from the switch that bolts to the drivers side of transmission, neutral safety switch? What could I have done? I need help badly!

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you reconnect the ground strap on the transmission bellhousing?
I'm second guessing myself. You said ground strap. There is a shield that goes up to the side of bellhousing. Inside that shield runs what looks like a cable and copper ground strap. I put the shield back onto the bellhousing studs and tightened it down. Where does the end of that ground strap terminate? Does it bolt onto another bellhousing stud further up the bellhousing? I remember taking the shield off the two studs but don't remember seeing where the strap went after it goes through the shield. Could I have missed it somewhere?