Ordered a different cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lloyd Elliot and I spent a little time going over cam options for the 383. In the end I have an Erson custom grind being made.

218/218 @ 0.050, 0.544 lift, 112 LSA and 108 ICL. Erson specs their advertised duration at a weird lift value compared to Comp, but Lloyd said it is about 275/275 advertised. It has less overlap, closes the intake valve later and opens the exhaust valve later than my current cam. Should help with the off-idle performance, cut the fuel consumption some from decreased overlap as well as bleed off some cylinder pressure to make the engine more timing friendly when it runs on pump gas.

I am also swapping the lifters for Lunati 72910-16s.

Parts should be here mid August, then it is on to the cam/lifter/58x management swap.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You...are a wildman.

Very jealous of your skills.
Lol! Don't be too jealous. I am not really blazing too much of a new trail.

I did pull apart a L31 aluminum distributor last night to start on a prototype for the 4x cam reluctor though. The stock style reluctor/ distributor rotor platform is merely a light press fit on the shaft. I get to make this guy and figure out how to time it correctly in relation to the crank. I have a couple of GM 4x cam sensor reluctors to reverse engineer and scale the reluctor to the L31 distributor diameter.

You must be registered for see images attach

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lift quoted was with 1.6, the old cam was 0.578 with the 1.7. The engine currently has a 1.6/1.5 split on the 218/228. It is actually only .503 exhaust lift currently.
Were you able to get the timing figured out? I posted a picture on what I think was your post on a facebook tuner group looking for the reference. I have a 4x VVT gear sitting in my shop right now and posted a pic of that with the timing marks in reference to the tone wheel.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were you able to get the timing figured out? I posted a picture on what I think was your post on a facebook tuner group looking for the reference. I have a 4x VVT gear sitting in my shop right now and posted a pic of that with the timing marks in reference to the tone wheel.
Not yet as I have had not had time to really dig into it yet.