oil leak questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't upload a pic until tomorrow... but I have a leak. Shop said I have an oil pan leak. I looked at it today and it's leaking at the front where the cover (timing chain?) meets the pan, right at the bottom where they meet. Shop said 570 to fix. Is this hard to do yourself? My mechanic buddy would help me. He's never done this job though.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just going to break it down to dollars here. $570 buys a lot of oil for an engine that had 185k on i in february.

A pan gasket isn't expensive the labor is what is. If it were me I would replace the front seal as well (it is more likely to leak anyway). Is it hard? No. Is it a pain in the butt? Yes. Will it take all day? Probably. Heck it might even roll into the next day seeing that you haven't done one before.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your gonna do the pan should do the timing chain cover too since the oil pan has to be removed to get to it, if ones leaking now the other might down the road beats going in there again, if you have the right tools can easily do it yourself

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Try a high mileage oil such as Valvoline Max-Life, (my choice. In 10w/40) Mobil Clean 5000, or Castrol GTX High Mileage.
You could also try an additive. Some swear by 'em, some swear at 'em.
Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak, Bars Leak Main Seal Repair, Auto R/X, Marvel Mystery Oil,
& this stuff....http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/no-leak. Has some pretty good reviews & it also happens to be the cheapest. Go figure!
Either way, these are just a stop-gap for the prob. The front seal or pan gasket, should be replaced, eventually.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This snowball is how you wind up with a LSX'd SAS'D truck on 40's lol
I bought a classic mini cooper for my ex. It was to be a wedding gift to her. I bought a fairly decent car with minimal rust and a basic 1000cc 4 speed car. By the time I got it home a rear main seal started leaking and had soaked the clutch. Well while the engine is out I should paint the engine and bay.I should add a header. I should do disc brakes. Disc brakes means 12-13" wheels. I can't find what we like so adapters are made for Honda pattern wheels. Adapters push the wheel out of the fender requiring flares. 3 sets of flares that fit like crap and look like ass leads to trailer fenders blended into the body making steel ground effects. Of course those have to be painted.

End result a beautiful mini cooper built on a rotisserie. 1275 cooper s engine with weber, cam, header and electronic ignition. Coil springs front and rear with sway bars and disc brakes. Of course you have to have a custom built 5 speed that came straight from England. The ex and I went our separate ways and I traded the mini for a 97 vette.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow some good replies. I was talking it over with my wife and we are at a stand-still on what to do. We are 50/50 on fixing it, leaving it and just watch the oil level as needed, and selling it to buy a newer truck. I stopped and looked at an '06 today but it had more frame rust than my 96. Ugh. What to do....