Oil Filters with good anti-drainback valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an oil filter which has an anti-drainback valve which doesn't fail after a month or so. This would be for the K1500 in my signature. I've used filters from AC Delco, Purolator (Red one), Bosch(?) and WIX. They all last about two weeks before they fail, leaving me with a second or so of lifter clatter on start-up once they do.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an oil filter which has an anti-drainback valve which doesn't fail after a month or so. This would be for the K1500 in my signature. I've used filters from AC Delco, Purolator (Red one), Bosch(?) and WIX. They all last about two weeks before they fail, leaving me with a second or so of lifter clatter on start-up once they do.
Prefer an ADV made of Silicone rubber.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

exactly which WIX filter number have you been using ? The one with a short-lived ADV ? Which WIX ?

* if you've been using WIX 51036 (18 x 1.5mm thread) --- try Purolator ONE PL24011 (BLUE) or Purolator BOSS PBL 24011 (BLACK) they both supposed to have a silicone ADV --- the red one does Not.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Hello DerekTheGreat,

I've been working with another member on sorting out noisy lifters on his 350.
He mentioned that he was using a Wix, so I assumed all is well there and we looked
elsewhere. Later on in the journey, he gets a replacement Wix online, and there are
detail differences that we were scratching our heads over.

So I decided to poke around and see if there are counterfeit Wix filters floating around?
Turns out that the answer is a familiar one. Once upon a time the Wix product was 100%
manufactured in the USA. Company gets sold to Mann & Hummel. Subsequent to the sale,
according to the spokesperson Mann & Hummel takes advantage of their worldwide manufacturing
capability, so now the Wix product set can be from different countries.

Eventually I found a video where a filter geek takes an older (USA made) Wix filter and a newer
(China made) Wix filter (same exact part #) apart and does a detailed comparison.

Guess what? Since you were asking about the ADVs, you might find this interesting - the old
Wix filter had the (preferable) Silicone valve, while the newer offshore Wix has reverted back
to the rubber valve:

You must be registered for see images attach

To add insult to injury, at first glance the all-important oil filtering media looked to be the same/more in the new offshore unit.
But after the filter geek put the filtering media under the microscope, the difference became apparent:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: Youtube video with the above title (Mann & Hummel version of Wix filters lower quality internals?)

Too bad. Wix used to be synonymous with using the good stuff even where the consumer couldn't see it.
Now? Not so much. Unless of course you insist on the Wix filters still made here in the USA? If that's
even possible?

Just like everything else today, Trust but Verify. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wasn't ready for WIX filters not being good anymore. First Valvoline giveth the pour spout and taketh it away, now this. My oil change go-tos are in shambles.
Me neither, dang it! WIX been my go-to for a long time. With global mfg, seems WIX a crapshoot nowadays.
IIRC, WIX is (or was) supplier for NAPA Gold. If still WIX, seems Gold a crapshoot as well.