Oil filter adapter gasket change problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sneakywheel

Reaction score
Ok so i posted in the other thread but have gotten no replies and my truck is currently apart right now and need some help. I am currently trying to change my oil cooler/filter adapter gaskets and seals. I have drained the oil and removed the filter. I got the two bolts on the bottom of the housing off and its still stuck to the block. I would prefer not to mess with the lines because they arent leaking. Is there more than two bolts to take off or do i need to beat on it to break it loose? I have a 5.7 so the filter is angled up.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so i posted in the other thread but have gotten no replies and my truck is currently apart right now and need some help. I am currently trying to change my oil cooler/filter adapter gaskets and seals. I have drained the oil and removed the filter. I got the two bolts on the bottom of the housing off and its still stuck to the block. I would prefer not to mess with the lines because they arent leaking. Is there more than two bolts to take off or do i need to beat on it to break it loose? I have a 5.7 so the filter is angled up.

Just tap on it with a rubber mallet and it should come loose

Sent from somewhere in MN

JJ8875

Reaction score
I also had this problem with mine. Use a rubber mallet to get it lose and to get better access to the gasket you may have to unbolt the bracket that holds the cooler lines in place so the adapter can drop down a couple inches. Good luck if you haven't already finished it.