OEM or Professional?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the crimpers for spark plug wires and used to make my own MSDs. Then the prices for the parts went through the roof and I don't make them any more. Whatever's cheapest on RockAuto.

Bloodwater79

Reaction score
the stock OEM are probably routed a different way which is why they are longer. I know my 69 camaro SBC wires are about 12 inchs shorter than the plug wires for my 283 57 belair. the wore routes for the 69 come up and over the valve covers where the 57 routes under the ram horns and up the back of the engine.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I’m running Taylor wires, and have for years. I have burned the wires on my headers and they’re still going strong.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just put the Delco professional series on my '90 350 TBI. Routed them through the oem holders and followed the layout from the service manual. None were too long.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought Moroso "Blue Max" wires but, I was kinda going with a "blue" theme on my engine too. They're low impedance (a lot less than OE) and no static noise. The boots will melt if you get them too close to the headers, LOL.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-72540

You must be registered for see images attach

I have LT1 metal boot heat protectors on my Express van. Have not melted a boot since. Bought them from a GM dealer. About $2 each at the time.

Bloodwater79

Reaction score
Read this in an articlefrom onedirt.com, the quote is from MSD on the different types of Plug wires

"Types of Spark Plug Wires:
Carbon Core “OEM” Wires

OEM wires work well with bone stock factory cars. For your typical grocery getter and ghetto cruiser, the OEM wires will work well getting spark to the spark plugs and won’t push the engine beyond factory specs. They require frequent replacement as the carbon core breaks down or cracks. Keep in mind that the factory treats plug wires as consumables and placed on a routine replacement cycle. Using a high powered ignition system will shorten the life of these plug wires.

Solid Core Wires
Solid core wires are usually made with a stainless steel or copper core, both of which conduct high electrical current very well. They also have no RFI suppression ability and that makes them a poor choice for electronic ignition systems. The frequencies broadcast into the atmosphere interfere with the electronic modules in the area. These should only be used on high performance cars that use magnetos or a points and condenser type ignition system. As with any rule, there are exceptions. The Granatelli Motor Sports solid core wires have proven to be very effective at suppressing the EMI and RFI emissions and still maintain the superior low resistance conductivity of solid core wires.

Low Resistance “Spiral” type Wires
The most popular plug wires for high performance street vehicles and race cars is the Spiral type wires. The construction of these wires is done by winding a very fine wire around the core. This wire is typically an alloy of copper, nickel or tin and usually a combination of the three metals. This winding serves to lower the RFI and EMI and still have a lower resistance in the wire. Spiral type wires should be considered when using any high performance ignition system or have upgrades to the engine that raises the cylinder pressure or add more fuel to the combustion. Our experts from MSD and Accel also agree that the higher the cylinder pressure and the more fuel there is, the higher the voltage needs to be to start a spark in the combustion chamber."

You must be registered for see images

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked up those Granatelli wires on summit. For $167 they better be great.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked up those Granatelli wires on summit. For $167 they better be great.

I'd have to see some dyno numbers and road testing before I'd commit to spending that kind of money on spark plugs wires. Though if everything else on your engine is already at ten tenths, what's a couple hundred bucks on a set of wires?

Reaction score
Spark plug wire set, that is. Fairly significant difference in cost (especially 'cause I need two sets). Has anybody seen a difference in effectiveness, performance, or longevity? Recommendations?
I got an accel kit from advance that has plug, wires cap and rotor for 179, used a code and got 20% off. Great set, has ceramic boots on the wires, I think they’re 8mm