OBS Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I searched and really didn't find much. Is anyone running one on the 96-98 5.7 vortec? I noticed some oiling in the intake passages while I was cleaning it up for paint. So I'm thinking it might be a good idea to add one. I'm curious about clean mounting locations and plumbing. Pics would be great as there seems to be none online in any searches.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just swapped PCV valves in mine and used one for a 2002ish 5.3 with the fixed orifice. My intake stayed clean because I deleted the EGR in the tune and cleaned the base when the new emgine went into it at 57K

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just swapped PCV valves in mine and used one for a 2002ish 5.3 with the fixed orifice. My intake stayed clean because I deleted the EGR in the tune and cleaned the base when the new emgine went into it at 57K

When I was cleaning my intake I cleaned the egr ports and tube that comes up inside the intake(little silver bent tube). But I discovered some oil residue inside the passages that are connected to the open hole in the bottom of the lower intake which I discovered also connects to the straight silver tube which comes up by the bent egr tube. So it's drawing some oil vapors from the lifter valley thru the bottom of the intake and possibly up that tube into the intake itself.

I'm curious if a catch can would even help with that honestly.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run the cheap catch cans found on amazon. Granted it's on the LS engines but all the same.
Low mileage (-100k) 5.3 is not drawing any oil yet.
High mileage 6.0 (425k+) I'll drain it every gas up.
Seems to help show the condition of the engines health?

I'm running the spring loaded PCV check valves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I run the cheap catch cans found on amazon. Granted it's on the LS engines but all the same.
Low mileage (-100k) 5.3 is not drawing any oil yet.
High mileage 6.0 (425k+) I'll drain it every gas up.
Seems to help show the condition of the engines health?

I'm running the spring loaded PCV check valves.

You have 425K miles on a 6.0? I didn't think anything short of a diesel would reach that kind of mileage.

I've never fully understood the reason behind a catch can. I remember back in the 90's when I had a Mk3 Supra it was a popular "mod". Is it just to collect the oil/vapors without burning it? What is the harm in just burning it?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have 425K miles on a 6.0? I didn't think anything short of a diesel would reach that kind of mileage.

I've never fully understood the reason behind a catch can. I remember back in the 90's when I had a Mk3 Supra it was a popular "mod". Is it just to collect the oil/vapors without burning it? What is the harm in just burning it?

It's actually about 437k miles. I just knew it was 425k+ so I was being general.
It had a turbo on it for 240k miles along with a bunch of bottles of nitrous and water/meth injection. 6-25 psi boost.

Towed with it a bunch too, keep the boost as low as it would go with the 6psi spring. It's been a good one that's for sure.
I did have to put lifters and a cam in it tho. Factory lifters ate up some cam lobes.
Had it out so did a mellin hi flow hi pressure oil pump too.
Bottom end is all original and never a bolt lose.

With the catch can i was just trying to keep the plugs clean and intake clean. Gives a good Indication on blow by and any oil consumption issues. If it's consuming oil and not leaking any, it's prolly valve guides/seals.
It's not necessary by any means but it can't hurt to keep an eye on it.

Best thing is water/meth (-30*F windsheild washer fluid) keeps everything spotless.
I pulled the heads off at about 300k miles on the 6.0 and the pistons looked great. The water/meth kept them looking new.

Sorry for the rabbit chasing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think a catch can is something that I will look into doing. I have leaks, but I'd like to figure out what else might be wrong, and I've got that condensation in the oil filler that I don't like.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might do this mod, anyone with experience with an oil catch can? Since the fuel injectors are in the manifold will the catch can stop some blow by , carbon build up in the intake increasing the longevity of the fuel injectors?