OBS Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a cost/benefit ratio, PCV is the single-most-effective anti-pollution device ever created for automotive engines. Venting a crankcase to atmosphere is not just silly, it's less-effective at removing moisture/acids from the oil.
Where do you think the intake air comes from?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you think the intake air comes from?
From the same place the air you breathe comes from.
Deliberately screwing up the air for no good reason is silly.

Dumping crankcase fumes into the atmosphere when they could get appropriately burned in the combustion chamber is nuts.

I am old enough to remember when roadways were black in the middle from the oil fumes exiting the draft tube. They used to teach in Driver's Training that roads were slippery at the beginning of a rainshower--the rain was washing the oil out of the middle of the lane, into the wheel tracks.

That is NOT something I want to go back to.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am about to pull the catch can, off of my 1979, L82, 350, Corvette, with a sniper EFI. Although the PO installed it, to so say, not put blowby, back into the engine, I really don't like it. Slight smoke venting under the hood,,,, yeah, not a good idea, IMO. Also, this is in my 79 Vette. It's not like there is a ton of room under the hood, where I could move it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember when roadways were black in the middle from the oil fumes exiting the draft tube. They used to teach in Driver's Training that roads were slippery at the beginning of a rainshower--the rain was washing the oil out of the middle of the lane, into the wheel tracks.

(Ok, I'm a bit embarrassed, but here goes anyway)

Wow, another bit of knowledge from my mother/grandmother that I took as solid, but is way outdated! I never understood where the "oily roads" at the beginning of rain came from. To this day, I assumed it to be true. I just figured I wasn't good enough, or pushing a vehicle hard enough, to feel the difference. We may have also "learned" this in driver's ed, as we used some ancient videos.... Smith System of Driving anyone???

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I agree with Schurkey I am not a fan of road draft tubes but I also do not like the idea of crank case gases in my intake I just saw this and want to try it out
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The positive would be the draft on the crankcase (over simple vents) but it's not doing anything for emissions. I could only see doing this on a race engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Pan-E-Vac" is said to not work with mufflers.

Not certain I believe that, but I have zero experience.

It's gonna be really hard on the catalyst.

You're going through a lot of trouble when you could--at most--pull the intake manifold every five years and clean it out. Maybe just spray it clean with various solvents while still in place.

Lotsa trouble for nothing.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(Ok, I'm a bit embarrassed, but here goes anyway)

Wow, another bit of knowledge from my mother/grandmother that I took as solid, but is way outdated! I never understood where the "oily roads" at the beginning of rain came from. To this day, I assumed it to be true. I just figured I wasn't good enough, or pushing a vehicle hard enough, to feel the difference. We may have also "learned" this in driver's ed, as we used some ancient videos.... Smith System of Driving anyone???
Can you name all your Smith keys? lol