OBS Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the same place the air you breathe comes from.
Deliberately screwing up the air for no good reason is silly.

Dumping crankcase fumes into the atmosphere when they could get appropriately burned in the combustion chamber is nuts.

I am old enough to remember when roadways were black in the middle from the oil fumes exiting the draft tube. They used to teach in Driver's Training that roads were slippery at the beginning of a rainshower--the rain was washing the oil out of the middle of the lane, into the wheel tracks.

That is NOT something I want to go back to.
It's still out there from leaking vehicles. You really know it on big HP bikes. Let out the clutch and you're going sideways.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the same place the air you breathe comes from.
Deliberately screwing up the air for no good reason is silly.

Dumping crankcase fumes into the atmosphere when they could get appropriately burned in the combustion chamber is nuts.

I am old enough to remember when roadways were black in the middle from the oil fumes exiting the draft tube. They used to teach in Driver's Training that roads were slippery at the beginning of a rainshower--the rain was washing the oil out of the middle of the lane, into the wheel tracks.

That is NOT something I want to go back to.
Well, the fact of it is, as I said in the beginning that oil does wash the carbon into your engine, and by pulling air through your engine through a metered vacuum leak, that exchanges more air inside the engine, allowing more moisture and acids into the oil.

I am about to pull the catch can, off of my 1979, L82, 350, Corvette, with a sniper EFI. Although the PO installed it, to so say, not put blowby, back into the engine, I really don't like it. Slight smoke venting under the hood,,,, yeah, not a good idea, IMO. Also, this is in my 79 Vette. It's not like there is a ton of room under the hood, where I could move it.
Speaking of old Vettes, here is one I built quite a few years back. Funny enough I painted it the same factory blue as the K3500 I recently saved, lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

While I'm sure not suitable for your tastes, it just had a couple K&N fiters on the valve covers on the big block, maybe a little drip off one occasionally.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, the fact of it is, as I said in the beginning that oil does wash the carbon into your engine, and by pulling air through your engine through a metered vacuum leak, that exchanges more air inside the engine, allowing more moisture and acids into the oil.

Speaking of old Vettes, here is one I built quite a few years back. Funny enough I painted it the same factory blue as the K3500 I recently saved, lol.

While I'm sure not suitable for your tastes, it just had a couple K&N fiters on the valve covers on the big block, maybe a little drip off one occasionally.
Nice looking Vette.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On burban running actual catch can. With motor built for boost and modified valve covers it does recover oil. On the TA just have regular moisture separator for air lines(ebay special) as a catch can. High mile ls1 so it collects some oil.

Last edited: