OBD1 Datalogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im so very lost
i need to find a cheap aldl cable, i have a laptop and i need software.
my truck already had a c2 sst chip thats tuned and g1 adapter from moates. will this effect anything? trucks a 93 but g1 is suppose to be for 94+ so should i be using the 93 or 94-95 software?
where do i get the software? and i have to import a bin file to it? im trying to understand this stuff its something id like to learn and help people instead of relying on my one friend who can do this in 5 minutes. im just having difficulties understanding.

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
This pretty much just gets you to the point of recording data, you'll need to look up a definition file (.xdf) that matches your truck and ECM. The bin files and masks are for editing and changing parameters. Sorry man I don't know much either and I haven't had the time to explore further into this, yet!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Now that I have purchased a new desk top I can now either dedicate one of my old laptops to the task or purchase one off of kijiji for it. Im leaning towards using moms old laptop for the task. Either way whichever laptop I use I will be installing a new ssd drive and upgrading to windows 7 on it unless I can do a recovery disk and keep it vista. Between that and the external drive im buying next month I will have plenty of strorage space for logging.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Now that I have purchased a new desk top I can now either dedicate one of my old laptops to the task or purchase one off of kijiji for it. Im leaning towards using moms old laptop for the task. Either way whichever laptop I use I will be installing a new ssd drive and upgrading to windows 7 on it unless I can do a recovery disk and keep it vista. Between that and the external drive im buying next month I will have plenty of strorage space for logging.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

Vista FTL.. I'd go Windows 7, I had ridiculous amounts of issues with vista.. notta one with Windows 7. And good man, it's good stuff to get into and learn about.. haven't had much time to play with it lately unfortunately..

ok so i got the xdl, adx,xdf and bins all setup. now just to get a aldl cable.

On the right track for sure. When you get the cable hooked up to your laptop, make sure to select the proper COM port or it won't start providing data.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Got mine there as well.
I leave mine plugged in to the diagnostic port all the time,even when the laptop is in the house.