OBD1 Datalogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Here is some helpful information if you are attempting to datalog with TunerProRT for the 88-95 OBD1 GMT400 trucks.
If anybody has any input please post away, i'll update with more info and clean it up as I learn more myself.

Items Needed to Datalog OBD1:

Hardware
Your OBD1 vehicle.
A Laptop.
ALDL Cable, with USB or Serial connector, depending on age of your laptop.

Software
TunerProRT
USB Drivers for ALDL Cable. (Cable comes with CD to install drivers)
.xdf file - your personal vehicle definition file.

TunerProRT Starter Tutorial
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...arter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read

This is probably a good thread to put in here.. I asked this over @ the GearHeadEFI forums, they were quick to respond and know their stuff!
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...ng..-94-TBI-5-speed-manual.&p=17020#post17020

ECM/PCM Number:
16196396 (You will need to verify your own ECM and BCC numbers from the ECM by removing the glovebox and taking note of what is written on the barcode/label on the ECM)
BCC: BDUJ

TunerPro XDF
$9A.xdf - My Personal Vehicle Definition File (all that is required to start datalogging with TunerProRT is the .xdf for your truck!)

Find Your .xdf HERE:
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm

How To Check for Proper USB Drivers:
Plug your cable into laptop, no need for vehicle, and go to Control Panel, Device Manager, check driver. Should be:
Driver FTDI
Date 4/10/2012
Version 2.8.24.0
Your COM Port will be shown around here, you'll see it. I'll update though with clearer details haha.

How To Select Your COM Port in TunerProRT:
Open TunerPro RT, make sure cable is plugged in your laptop, again no vehicle req'd. Go to Tools > Preferences > Data Acquisisition/Emulation > Select Interface Type: Use Plug in > Configure plug in and make sure it is on the correct COM port, Test for Valid Interface using settings.
Select the COM port that you discovered previously. Apparently USB cables are never below COM5. Mine was COM12.

Once you have the ALDL cable, TunerProRT, the USB drivers, your vehicle definition (.xdf file) and have selected your COM port, you should be ready to datalog!
Press the button with two opposite facing horizontal arrows on the toolbar, this will start the data flow. After that, under the "Aquisitions" tab, you can choose to start recording your data! When you stop recording, it will promt you to save the file.

Last edited:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I currently use Tuner Pro RT,was using Datamaster until I used up the 20 freebies on two different laptops.I suppose I'll eventually pay Datamaster for the code so I can use it as much as I want.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I currently use Tuner Pro RT,was using Datamaster until I used up the 20 freebies on two different laptops.I suppose I'll eventually pay Datamaster for the code so I can use it as much as I want.

Which was your favourite? Which was easier to use, easier to understand?
I'm downloading the file for my truck as of right now for TTSDatamaster.

grampadirt

Reaction score
I suppose if I had to choose I'd say Tuner Pro RT,I like the ''dash'' which shows the numbers on gauges just like a gauge panel on a truck.Datamaster was great until I used up the 20 free uses.TP RT is free forever but they'd like a $39.99 ''donation'' for the program.There's a window that pops up asking for the donation but after 8(IIRC) it goes away and you can used the program then.Once you download the program you'll need to find the correct .bin file and open it to make DM work on your particular truck(I use $31,I think yours might be the same,not sure).You'll have to get a couple of #s from your ECM to confirm which one though.You'll need the ECM # & the prom #.
Here's a pic of the engine data from DM

Closed Loop(on freeway)

You must be registered for see images attach

Open Loop(at idle)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive always used TunerPro. Works great and you have the "dash" style like mentioned, or the list style, which I always use.

grampadirt

Reaction score
I wish I knew all there is to know about these programs but I'm still learning.I know this though....TP helped me diagnose a problem I had with my burb running like crap.Turns out the TPS sensor was reading 10% throttle opening when it should've been 0%.Loosened the screws and moved it just enough to read 0,then the IAC and throttle kicker could control the idle...way better :thumbs:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I'm def gonna keep tabs on this...i may need to go searching for a used laptop this summer for this sort of use.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Please do,we can all learn something from it.
This is where I got my .bin file,Look down the far right column and match your truck to the Mask ID then download the .xdf file and open it in TP RT(been a while hope that's right).
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm

Thanks for the info! I'm def gonna get a used laptop and set it up for datalogging on both of my GMCs and for tuning an optishift controller in my K3500. Now I gotta ask will tuner pro work on obdII vehicles as well? I figure if I can use it on my 350 powered k3500, my Diesel powered K1500 and my trailblazer its win/win.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone