OBD1 Datalogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm def gonna get a used laptop and set it up for datalogging on both of my GMCs and for tuning an optishift controller in my K3500. Now I gotta ask will tuner pro work on obdII vehicles as well? I figure if I can use it on my 350 powered k3500, my Diesel powered K1500 and my trailblazer its win/win.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

Not sure,but the diagnostic connectors are different.I'd like to see also,I need a cable for the OBDII PCM(for wifey's '99 burb).

Here's a link that might help.Go to community then forum...
http://www.tunerpro.net/

From posts I've seen here there a some guys who know this stuff well...as in burning their own prom,doubt I'll ever be able to do that.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Yeah it was COM12. Data was flowing, everything was connected. But it was unknown to the program because the proper ECM wasn't selected.

I've registered over on gearhead-efi. These guys know there stuff, I'll post some info pretty quick.
Turns out my truck's fairly rare in terms of the ECM.. it's an older version, C3 ECM.

If all you want to do is just datalog, you don't need to load a bin or XDF, just an ADX(Vehicle Definition) is necessary to datalog.
And of course the aldl cable

This is probably a good thread to put in here.. I asked this over @ the GearHeadEFI forums, the were quick to respond and know their stuff!
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...ng..-94-TBI-5-speed-manual.&p=17020#post17020

Also..

TunerProRT Starter Tutorial
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...arter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I wish I knew all there is to know about these programs but I'm still learning.I know this though....TP helped me diagnose a problem I had with my burb running like crap.Turns out the TPS sensor was reading 10% throttle opening when it should've been 0%.Loosened the screws and moved it just enough to read 0,then the IAC and throttle kicker could control the idle...way better :thumbs:

This is the whole reason I want to get into scanning/datalogging.

grampadirt

Reaction score
This is the whole reason I want to get into scanning/datalogging.
Yep,that's my reason as well.I was getting annoyed at only being able to read codes via the ALDL jumper wire,I wanted to know more.To me this was an easier and cheaper way rather than buy an OBDI/OBDII scanner costing hundreds of dollars.

I was also happy to discover that DM could read the tranny temp on ''E'' trannies,TP doesn't as far as I've seen on my 4L80E.I doubt I'll ever take it to the next level to burn a new prom though.If you decide to go that far good for you,I wish you luck.

I've read on Gearhead and other forums as well,it has helped :waytogo:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Yep,that's my reason as well.I was getting annoyed at only being able to read codes via the ALDL jumper wire,I wanted to know more.To me this was an easier and cheaper way rather than buy an OBDI/OBDII scanner costing hundreds of dollars.

I was also happy to discover that DM could read the tranny temp on ''E'' trannies,TP doesn't as far as I've seen on my 4L80E.I doubt I'll ever take it to the next level to burn a new prom though.If you decide to go that far good for you,I wish you luck.

I've read on Gearhead and other forums as well,it has helped :waytogo:

The more you know the better! I'm hoping that eventually we'll have enough compiled information here to get somebody set up to scan/datalog for the 88-95 OBD1 Trucks & SUVs, without having to outsource for further knowledge! It shouldn't have to be difficult.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ALDLcable.com and Moates.net are where I got my cables and burning supplies from.

grampadirt

Reaction score
Was considering getting an emulator,problem is I don't really know which parameters to change to improve performance.There's just too many of them.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Was considering getting an emulator,problem is I don't really know which parameters to change to improve performance.There's just too many of them.
It is an overwhelming amount of information to wrap one's mind around that is for certain.
In other news... Success! I have finally recorded my first datalog! If I thought the set up was difficult then I'm sure reading these logs are going to be just a blast! Lol. Looking forward to learning more!