Rocker caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oniontheoreo

Reaction score
So I gotta ask if the inner bolts on the rocker caps have a torque, I know the caps themselves don't, I do know that is 1/4 turn to 3/4 of a turn on the caps. I only ask because my caps keep walking of the studs. And I check w/ a square and the rocker studs aren't pulled. And I'm 95% sure I did the adjustment right, but idk.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? WHAT ENGINE? WHAT VALVETRAIN PARTS?

What are "rocker caps"?

Do you mean the "inner bolts" (set screws) on the aftermarket "polylock" rocker adjusters?

Everyone I know tightens those by getting the adjustment right, snugging the set screws, then backing-off the polylock a little--1/12 to 1/6 turn, re-snug the set screw, then tighten the polylock back to where it was, so that the set screw is turned along with the polylock. The set screw has more "tightness" that way than just cranking on the set screw by itself.

The better rocker studs (ARP) have machined tops, cheaper rocker studs are not machined and don't hold the set screws as well.

oniontheoreo

Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? WHAT ENGINE? WHAT VALVETRAIN PARTS?

What are "rocker caps"?

Do you mean the "inner bolts" (set screws) on the aftermarket "polylock" rocker adjusters?

Everyone I know tightens those by getting the adjustment right, snugging the set screws, then backing-off the polylock a little--1/12 to 1/6 turn, re-snug the set screw, then tighten the polylock back to where it was, so that the set screw is turned along with the polylock. The set screw has more "tightness" that way than just cranking on the set screw by itself.

The better rocker studs (ARP) have machined tops, cheaper rocker studs are not machined and don't hold the set screws as well.ir
It's a 97 5.7 with ls7 lifters and full roller rockers I don't have after market studs (wish I did) but my engine has stock vortec heads. I was thinking blue lock tight (stick no liquid) would help but idk if its good to have that on those polylock nuts. And the studs didn't get pulled, checked them w/ a square

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a couple of rocker nuts,one was so bad I had to put a jamb nut on it,and because of this prob I ordered a set of polyloks.I was going to install them this weekend but an opportunity to go to the gun range popped up so I'll be doing that(never miss a chance to go plink a few rounds).

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a couple of rocker nuts,one was so bad I had to put a jamb nut on it,and because of this prob I ordered a set of polyloks.I was going to install them this weekend but an opportunity to go to the gun range popped up so I'll be doing that(never miss a chance to go plink a few rounds).
Sounds like you got your priorities in order!!!

oniontheoreo

Reaction score
UT I do gotta ask if it would be OK to use blue lock tight in those polylock nuts. I understand if I have to use it liberally, and I do have the stick, so no liquid would run down

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UT I do gotta ask if it would be OK to use blue lock tight in those polylock nuts. I understand if I have to use it liberally, and I do have the stick, so no liquid would run down
You don't have to use it liberally but you do have to completely de-grease the fasteners. Glue don't stick to oil!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I was curious how tight those set screws needed to be so I shot an e-mail to Summit's tech line and asked them.In a couple of days I had a response:15-20 ft. lbs,cool,I can do that.