No oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
SOLVED:
i got home from work today and started the process of taking off the pan for the THIRD time. When i took off the pan off, what I saw I was NOT expecting. A blue shop towel had been sucked up into the pick up screen and essentially blocked all from the engine. Luckily it pulled enough oil through to allow me to get home.

I completely forgot that I left it in the pan. I feel like a dumba s s.

I spent about 45 minutes cleaning out the pickup screen and put it back together. After I started it and held it at 3K and after about 45 seconds the lifter clatter went away and it was holding about 50psi - although I personally think the psi is high than what the gauge shows because of the way I ran the tube into the cab.

You guys have no Idea of how relived I am.

You must be registered for see images attach

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive heard of people doing that when they remove intakes. At least you found it and hopefully didn't do any long term damage to the engine. I bet you wont do that again.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had a similar situation several years ago, working on the '06. Had a paper towel stuffed into the intake horn on the 6.0, and forgot to get it out before buttoning everything up. Dad goes to drive the truck out of the carport, down the alley, gets out on the street and it's bucking and running weird. Once the paper got through the combustion process, it ran better, but was kinda scary for a bit.
After that, I got some white shop rags and big rubber bands; used those stretched across the intake horn and the air cleaner hose.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive heard of people doing that when they remove intakes.
I once left a pair of rags in the intake of my Cadillac when I bolted the carburetor back down and fired it up. I was wondering why it was running like garbage, and then it spat a smoldering bit of rag out the exhaust. I pulled the intake back off and tore what I could out of the intake ports. The rest took a while to run through the engine.