No oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make a gauge that threads In place of the oil filter.

Or you could take the filter off of it, put a deep pan under it and have a buddy start it up. If you don’t have any flow within 3 seconds then you have a problem.

It’s not the best method but would work. Obviously somone needs to man the key and shut it off pretty damn quick.

If you have a lot of flow, try a new oil filter (process of elimination)
Just curious, have you done this^^^? Must make a mess huh? :893MrT-thumb:

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
They make a gauge that threads In place of the oil filter.

Or you could take the filter off of it, put a deep pan under it and have a buddy start it up. If you don’t have any flow within 3 seconds then you have a problem.

It’s not the best method but would work. Obviously somone needs to man the key and shut it off pretty damn quick.

If you have a lot of flow, try a new oil filter (process of elimination)
There's also a gauge you can buy to thread into the port on the engine where the sendibg unit is and works similar to a fuel gauge except it shows oil pressure.

Teddygraham

Reaction score
There's also a gauge you can buy to thread into the port on the engine where the sendibg unit is and works similar to a fuel gauge except it shows oil pressure.
You already did that. That port gets pressure last, both crank and cam get pressure prior to that port. The oil filter gets supplied oil right after the pump. Closest point the oil pump without taking anything apart

Last edited:

Teddygraham

Reaction score
Just curious, have you done this^^^? Must make a mess huh? :893MrT-thumb:
Only makes a mess of your wrong and the pump is still good ;)

That and I worked on these things for 10 years at a dealer, iv made my fair share of mistakes when it comes to forgetting oil filters, double gaskets ect when I was learning. Doesn’t scare me any more. Mess really isn’t that bad.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the oil look like? I definitely wouldn't run it any longer without fixing the issue. I'd pop the oil pan off and check to see if the oil pickup fell out of the pump. While you're there you can pop the oil pump open and see if the gears are good, or if there's anything lodged between the gears. If it's all still good, drop the pump out and check to see if the oil pump driveshaft slots into the distributor correctly or if it's sheared off.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You already did that. That port gets pressure last, both crank and cam get pressure prior to that port. The oil filter gets supplied oil right after the pump. Closest point the oil pump without taking anything apart
Sorry Wrong, The oil leaves the filter and is directed to the distributor bore and from there it is directed to the cam and lifter galleys and then it is directed to the crank journals that provide lube to the main and rod bearings. The crank is the last thing to get oil .

Teddygraham

Reaction score
Sorry Wrong, The oil leaves the filter and is directed to the distributor bore and from there it is directed to the cam and lifter galleys and then it is directed to the crank journals that provide lube to the main and rod bearings. The crank is the last thing to get oil .
Your right, maybe I’m thinking of an LS or another gm engine?? I remember my instructor making a comment about all or most pressure losses being prior to the sensor

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil filter clogged? Clogged or broken pick up tube if it has a good oil level. is this a mechanical oil pump? Or distributor driven? Could be a driveshaft that broke or something wore out on the pump. I’m surprised the truck made it with no oil pumping