No oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Alright, so last weekend I was driving my C1500 around running some errands when some stuff happened to the truck. First; I noticed my oil pressure gauge was stuck at 20, even with engine off or cycling the key. I didn't give it much thought since I know the gauge motors are known to fail.

I stopped to get gas and when I started the truck when I was done, I heard lifter chatter from the passenger side of the engine. I was able to baby the truck home. I took off the pass side valve cover and let the engine run for a few minutes. All the valves/rocker/pushrods were moving, however there was no oil coming out ANY of the pushrods.

Today, I decided to install a oil gauge to verify if the one on the cluster had failed. I ran the capillary tube that came with the gauge from the port on the engine where the oil sender is and ran it into the dash where I had the gauge. After about two minutes of the engine running, no oil was flowing into the tube from the engine.

At this point, I'm not sure where to go.

Teddygraham

Reaction score
How do I test for that?
They make a gauge that threads In place of the oil filter.

Or you could take the filter off of it, put a deep pan under it and have a buddy start it up. If you don’t have any flow within 3 seconds then you have a problem.

It’s not the best method but would work. Obviously somone needs to man the key and shut it off pretty damn quick.

If you have a lot of flow, try a new oil filter (process of elimination)