Newbie Check-in and Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karitoki

Reaction score
Exactly right. The only GMT 400 trucks that got chrome wheels were 5 lug, 2wd sport trucks.
Wise decision. Stock best way to go and is the way the general planned it. Your plan of repairs is a great way to start. There are things that will go out like the fuel pump or may have issues with the evo in the power steering. Easy to fix and there awesome simple rigs. Like @HotWheelsBurban said. Mine has been with my family for 23yrs. The original vortec 350 hit 425k before it needed some repairs I wasnt willing to fix lol. Threw in a rebuilt motor in it and now I'm really wanting a 383 stroker. Anyways currently shes at 474k miles but not original drive train. The original 4l60e gave up around 200ksomething a while back. I've been replacing as much as I can to get it as close to new a possible. Now there are some mods you can do as well that help make these trucks a little more solid:) cant wait to see your progress

Thanks! I'm actually considering having the engine rebuilt at a local machine shop. We'll see what it looks like when it comes out.

Postmech

Reaction score
Most Vortec 5.7 Came with brass core (freeze) plugs. Probably intake leak. I used Holley aluminum timing cover on my 383 build, worked great, no leaks. If you install core plugs yourself, drive them in with a driver or back of socket large enough to rest on flange of plug. Its possible to crack brass plugs around bend radius. The Felpro metal base with rubber coating intake gasket lasts forever. There are a lot of new takeoff wheel & tire combos on craigslist. I updated my 98 with 18" wheels about the cost of new tires. Just general info. Great looking truck. Good luck with build.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly right. The only GMT 400 trucks that got chrome wheels were 5 lug, 2wd sport trucks.

Yes. My brother converted his C1500 '90 to the 6 lug 14 BSF as well as the front spindles from a 6 lug 2500LD. He got those chrome wheels with the parts deal. They were dirty but after he cleaned them his truck looks nice.

He previously had the late GMT400 Tahoe Limited wheels, and he said those chrome wheels stick in way more than his old ones. Something about offset distance being different. Don't really know the specifics...

OP, why are you pulling the engine to rebuild it if it's running strong? Did I miss something? I didn't think the freeze plug required engine removal. I have a '00 K3500 with 5.7 with 206,000 miles and after the MPFI conversion, it seems to idle smoother than my '06 Suburban 6.0 with 234,000 miles, LOL.

You can do some basic test like compression, leak-down test, etc. to determine the "health" of the engine. Basic tests that should not cost a lot, even if you have a shop perform them or buying the gauges to do yourself.

karitoki

Reaction score
Most Vortec 5.7 Came with brass core (freeze) plugs. Probably intake leak. I used Holley aluminum timing cover on my 383 build, worked great, no leaks. If you install core plugs yourself, drive them in with a driver or back of socket large enough to rest on flange of plug. Its possible to crack brass plugs around bend radius. The Felpro metal base with rubber coating intake gasket lasts forever. There are a lot of new takeoff wheel & tire combos on craigslist. I updated my 98 with 18" wheels about the cost of new tires. Just general info. Great looking truck. Good luck with build.
Thank you! When you say "intake leak", do you mean the back of the intake manifold?

Also, what's a "383 build"? I've heard the tern a few times as I've looked into this project.

karitoki

Reaction score
Yes. My brother converted his C1500 '90 to the 6 lug 14 BSF as well as the front spindles from a 6 lug 2500LD. He got those chrome wheels with the parts deal. They were dirty but after he cleaned them his truck looks nice.

He previously had the late GMT400 Tahoe Limited wheels, and he said those chrome wheels stick in way more than his old ones. Something about offset distance being different. Don't really know the specifics...

OP, why are you pulling the engine to rebuild it if it's running strong? Did I miss something? I didn't think the freeze plug required engine removal. I have a '00 K3500 with 5.7 with 206,000 miles and after the MPFI conversion, it seems to idle smoother than my '06 Suburban 6.0 with 234,000 miles, LOL.

You can do some basic test like compression, leak-down test, etc. to determine the "health" of the engine. Basic tests that should not cost a lot, even if you have a shop perform them or buying the gauges to do yourself.

Well, from what I gathered in my research, one the the freeze plugs behind the flex plate was leaking. That, and I have to replace all the heater/A/C cores, the blend door and steering box. It all just added up in my amateur mechanic mind that it was the best way to go.

Can I do a MPFI conversion on a '98 5.7? This looks like it's throttle body. Also, is the intake manifold plastic? Looks like it.
Thanks!