Newbie Check-in and Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karitoki

Reaction score
This is how I'm keeping track of this madness. Anything that comes off of something is tagged and numbered. The place it was removed from is given the same number, and then that number is logged with a description. This is process takes more time than the wrenching, but I know it will save me hours (and lots of stress) when it comes down to reassembly time.

You must be registered for see images attach

karitoki

Reaction score
I normally use Harbor Freight nitrile blue gloves, but didn't feel like making the trip today. I bought these at O'Reiliy's. I almost passed because they were $30 for 100, but they seem to be well worth the money. I'm still on the first pair, and they can handle brake cleaner without a problem. Recommended.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I normally use Harbor Freight nitrile blue gloves, but didn't feel like making the trip today. I bought these at O'Reiliy's. I almost passed because they were $30 for 100, but they seem to be well worth the money. I'm still on the first pair, and they can handle brake cleaner without a problem. Recommended.

Got the same pair. Love em too

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, from what I gathered in my research, one the the freeze plugs behind the flex plate was leaking. That, and I have to replace all the heater/A/C cores, the blend door and steering box. It all just added up in my amateur mechanic mind that it was the best way to go.

Can I do a MPFI conversion on a '98 5.7? This looks like it's throttle body. Also, is the intake manifold plastic? Looks like it.
Thanks!

Yes, you have a Vortec engine. The infamous "Spider Injectors" live under the upper plenum of the intake manifold. Highly recommend you upgrade to the MPFI. Rockauto has the best price for these.

So I just happen to have pulled my 4.3 from my NBS 99 Silverado. Is this the freeze plug you are referring to? The 5.7 and 4.3 are somewhat similar...

I did not even know that was there. Nor that this engine had a knock sensor, LOL

karitoki

Reaction score
Yes, you have a Vortec engine. The infamous "Spider Injectors" live under the upper plenum of the intake manifold. Highly recommend you upgrade to the MPFI. Rockauto has the best price for these.

So I just happen to have pulled my 4.3 from my NBS 99 Silverado. Is this the freeze plug you are referring to? The 5.7 and 4.3 are somewhat similar...

I did not even know that was there. Nor that this engine had a knock sensor, LOL

The drawings I saw for the 5.7 had two plugs at 10 and 2 on the back of the engine.

I assume you have to get a whole new intake manifold? Do you have to have any "reprogramming" to the computer? If you could send me a link I'd appreciate it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drawings I saw for the 5.7 had two plugs at 10 and 2 on the back of the engine.

I assume you have to get a whole new intake manifold? Do you have to have any "reprogramming" to the computer? If you could send me a link I'd appreciate it.

No new intake manifold,just gaskets. A complete intake manifold gasket is maybe $65. Lots of videos on YT how to do this. It's not that difficult. You can go ahead and do lower intake as well. They are known to leak, but maybe they've already done those?

I did the injectors on another one of my trucks that has the 5.7 and did just upper gaskets. Took about 3 hours

No reprograming either.

karitoki

Reaction score
Most Vortec 5.7 Came with brass core (freeze) plugs. Probably intake leak. I used Holley aluminum timing cover on my 383 build, worked great, no leaks. If you install core plugs yourself, drive them in with a driver or back of socket large enough to rest on flange of plug. Its possible to crack brass plugs around bend radius. The Felpro metal base with rubber coating intake gasket lasts forever. There are a lot of new takeoff wheel & tire combos on craigslist. I updated my 98 with 18" wheels about the cost of new tires. Just general info. Great looking truck. Good luck with build.

When you say "intake leak" you mean the lower intake manifold, correct? If that's the case, I may leave the engine in the truck and just replace the lower gasket and do the MPFI upgrade.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say "intake leak" you mean the lower intake manifold, correct? If that's the case, I may leave the engine in the truck and just replace the lower gasket and do the MPFI upgrade.

I was going to ask what the story is about freeze plug leaking...

Should be pretty easy to spot the source of your leak with most of engine open like that.

On that photo I posted you can see the silicone squeeze out on the rear of the intake manifold. I believe that silicone contains the engine oil? But water leaks are also possible on either side of the intake and run down the engine block. I've seen guy here having that issue.