New Radio, how to wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sheesh, so I pull the tuner/amp and there's like 3 plugs with several wires each, then pull the radio head module and there are several wires but no plug, they go into the unit and are soldered to the circuit board. The Cructhfield directions say to disconnect the module, but that ain't possible. Guess I'll have to cut wires, never fun. Haven't even pulled the cassette deck yet.
You're going about this wrong... time for a reset. Remember, likely tens of thousands of people have done this job and not encountered what you are.

Richard

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update--I think its going to work, went and bought the very last radio at Best Buy today, shelf was clear except for the exact JVC radio I'd been looking at on-line with a 13 band EQ. I play bass so I had to find something I could adjust, kill the treble, boost the bass. Anyway I figured out that the Metra adaptor would plug into two of the plugs that came out of the tuner amp, those plugs had confused me a lot. Then I found that the plug in in the back of the radio has the exact same wires as the Metra adaptor, go figure, I read that that should be the case but didn't believe it. All of a sudden it seems easy. One of the problems has been that I have a brake controller, a trans temp gage and a rear camera all wired into various places under the dash and in the way of the tuner/amp and almost lost track of what they were and where they went, but luckily I took a lot of pictures. Some of that extra wiring was mickey moused so now I can wire it properly. Already mounted the trans temp guage in the new pod that replaces the radio head, looks a lot better than hanging under the dash. Thanks all for the comments, advice and encouragement.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kchevys, (Kgmc here) boy that's the truth, lots of help here. Plus its friendly and without animosity. I appreciate all the very experienced GM owners on this site. Very similar to Vintage Chevy Van Club who gave me much help when I was recently reviving my '65 Chevy Van after getting it out of 18 years of storage. Didn't know zinc had been taken out of oil so ended up with noisy lifters and other noises. Discovered Valvoline racing oil. I installed a 292 6cyl back in '88 with no help, scary. I digress, sorry. Still working on the wiring in the k1500, sure was a mess, but I'm getting there. The radio and cassette deck were getting worse & worst. I need good sound with good bass as I listen to this week's song list during the week to play on Sunday. Now have a vacuum gage and trans temp gage in that replacement pod for the radio control module, had the trans gage below the dash board before so had to take my eyes off the road to monitor it, not safe when towing. When towing, check my gages frequently. (Did you know that gage can also be spelled guage)?

It's true that once you buy a certain brand of vehicle that you see more of them. Although, it seems to me I'm seeing a lot more GMC's these days. Could it be that GMC is out selling Chevys?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
GMC and Chevy together outsell ford. One of the ways Ford cheats on the sales figures too is they classify everything from F150 through F650 as an F-series truck, whereas GM only uses the sales of 1500-3500 trucks.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well sheesh again. So get the radio mounted and find the antenna plug is too small to fit the antenna socket of the JVC radio. Now what???????????????

I've always wondered why GM doesn't report sales of Chevy and GMC together if Ford includes all their lines. Ford cheats and their Pinto's and Explorers kill people.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well sheesh again. So get the radio mounted and find the antenna plug is too small to fit the antenna socket of the JVC radio. Now what???????????????
Yup, that's nothing new. It's been that way since the body change in '88

I've always wondered why GM doesn't report sales of Chevy and GMC together if Ford includes all their lines. Ford cheats and their Pinto's and Explorers kill people.
Because GM has worked hard to differentiate and publicize that they are two different trucks. Though the obvious similarities prove otherwise.

I suppose that's why GM tried and failed with Quadrasteer, but succeeded with Denali

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"GMC is professional grade!"

If you want an interesting read, look up "GM10". It was GM's attempt to corner the automotive market by eliminating the mid and large sized cars and replacing them all with W-bodies with different styling. The car guys said it wouldn't work, but the accountants who ran GM told them to shut up and color. The accountants assured everyone the W-body alone would take over 21% of the US car market. It failed and was a significant contributor to GM's bankruptcy.

Even after GM10 failed, the accountants were sure the best way to make money was to cut everything down to a handful of platforms, buy up all the competitors they could, and force the acquisitions to rebody that single platform. Saab owners loved the quirkiness of Saabs, so GM bought Saab, made them rebody the Trailblazer into the 9-7x, and wondered why Saab owners quit buying Saabs. It was not a shock to me when GM went bankrupt, they'd been chasing market share over profitability for years.

If I were running GM, GMC would be a series of serious work truck option packages, and they'd all be Chevys. Did you buy a GMC package to make your Chevy into a more usable truck? You get a "GMC" badge on the side kinda like Jeep's "Trail Rated" badges. Boom, you preserve markup. Not that I don't like GMC, I just think it's redundant pretending they make "better" trucks.