New Radio, how to wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks to some folks on here, I discovered there is a kit to replace the radio pod and the cassette and controls. Got it ordered. Once I get it I'll find out what size radio I can buy. Sooooo, what am I going to find behind the radio and cassette for speaker wires???

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easy way is to look at "Metra" and "Scoche (?)" For the adapter kit. One side made for the factory wire harness plug, the other side plugs into new radio aftermarket unit. New radio units are mostly "DIN" , meaning standardized sizes and wiring plugs. Single din, double din and soforth.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easy way is to look at "Metra" and "Scoche (?)" For the adapter kit. One side made for the factory wire harness plug, the other side plugs into new radio aftermarket unit. New radio units are mostly "DIN" , meaning standardized sizes and wiring plugs. Single din, double din and soforth.
I learned on our 97 cclbd that the radio connector on the truck side is the same exact connector as on our 2002 avalanche. I took the double din out of the avalanche and put it in our dually. Took the oem radio from the dually and plugged it in to the avalanche. And the sliding locks on the sides of the radio were identical too. So it locked right in the factory spot.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, radio upgrades in the 93 GMC, 95 Chevy, and the 98 Tahoe. The diff' between 93 to 95.!

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanx all. However a new question. Found the Metra adaptor but it says it won't work if you have a factory amplifier. How do I know if I have one?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanx all. However and new question. Found the Metra adaptor but it says it won't work if you have a factory amplifier. How do I know if I have one?
For the Suburban in your profile pic? If it's the 4 speaker system (1992-1994 dash and rear cargo area, 1995-up front doors and rear cargo area), you don't have the amp. If you have speakers in your rear passenger doors... you probably have the extra amp; it should be under the driver seat.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FYI if you do have the factory amp it will still work with the adapter harnesses. You just need to make sure to connect the remote wire from the harness to the turn on signal wire for the factory amp. IIRC both are blue but it's been a while.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanx all. However a new question. Found the Metra adaptor but it says it won't work if you have a factory amplifier. How do I know if I have one?
Well I don’t know about the 400s but I do know I had to bypass the factory amp in my 2002 avalanche.