New pitman arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97-2door

Reaction score
I’ve seen several posts about installing new pitman arms to the steering box. Some folks say they just hit the nut with an impact and call it a day. Others say they torque it to the 184 ft-lb. I’ve got the engine pulled so doing some other work while I have easy access. How the hell do you torque the pitman arm to steering box nut to 184 with everything free to rotate? I’ve tried mounting stuff in a vice but I can’t hold it still to get the torque. Also, my new pitman arm has about an 1/8” more gap between the steering box than the old setup. I don’t see it moving that much if I ever manage to torque it down. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did mine with motor in truck. Pulled gearbox off frame so I could get puller on it. Rattled it back on with impact.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did what this guy did…pretty much put the pitman arm on with an impact, hold the arm in a vise, jam the gearbox against the bench and torque it down.

7:20 in the video below.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve seen several posts about installing new pitman arms to the steering box. Some folks say they just hit the nut with an impact and call it a day. Others say they torque it to the 184 ft-lb. I’ve got the engine pulled so doing some other work while I have easy access. How the hell do you torque the pitman arm to steering box nut to 184 with everything free to rotate? I’ve tried mounting stuff in a vice but I can’t hold it still to get the torque. Also, my new pitman arm has about an 1/8” more gap between the steering box than the old setup. I don’t see it moving that much if I ever manage to torque it down. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

And now you know why most of us just hit it until the gun stops.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had owned my truck for several months before I went to replace all the steering parts and found the last owner had only done the pitman arm nut up finger tight and left it like that. As all the steering joints were well worn I would assume that nut had been like that fore quite some time. Based on this experience I don't think that nut needs to be super tight so just as much as you can manage.

97-2door

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! Makes me feel a little better about the torque. Should I be concerned if there is a little more gap between the steering housing and the new pitman arm compared to the old one?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a tapered spline. So depending on the depth, of the taper on the new arm determines position. The book practice is to torque the nut. Others run it down with your impact. Your call , your butts in seat. :waytogo:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had owned my truck for several months before I went to replace all the steering parts and found the last owner had only done the pitman arm nut up finger tight and left it like that. As all the steering joints were well worn I would assume that nut had been like that fore quite some time. Based on this experience I don't think that nut needs to be super tight so just as much as you can manage.
Pretty much the same here. I knew I was removing the arm (looking to straighten the crooked steering wheel) and was tying myself in knots trying to figure how I'd remove a nut torqued to 184lb.ft. It wasn't at one tenth of what it should have been - and I'd been driving it like that.