New pitman arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a better video, but I’d adjust power steering box as needed while you have access.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How the hell do you torque the pitman arm to steering box nut to 184 with everything free to rotate?
I did mine like this... Of course with me standing on it while holding onto my wife's truck pulling down while my son used the torque wrench and lifted me up several times as he was torquing it... That part isn't in the video....
I also had to go with a Moog arm because for some reason, the pro forged one I tried wasn't machined right and it was being machined by the steering box gears... Wasn't just the coating either...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engineer who spec'd 184 ft/lbs is probably twitching because he calculated it out to 184.79 ft/lbs and the editor who published the manual dropped the decimals.

It's a tapered joint with an inch thick pitman and a nut that can readily handle 266 ft/lbs. If you have a brand new 800ft/lb torque wrench, you may want to stop short of tightening it down until it quits turning. My old Ingersoll Rand twin-hammer impact was rated at 275 ft/lbs new, and being twenty years old I had no problem hammering until it stopped turning when I rebuilt the steering on WCJr.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I rebuilt the front end of my 2005 Duramax, I remember having the exact same thoughts about the Pitman arm. Clearance is really tight in there and no way to put a torque wrench on it (at least not that I know of) so I basically just tried to feel how much force it took to break it loose. When I put it back together I just tightened it until I was sure it wasn't coming off from normal driving activities. I was wrenching on that thing so hard I was actually sliding my body across the garage floor and I'm 240lbs so I figured that was German Spec.