Pitman arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgbude

Reaction score
In the process replacing some components on front end steering/suspension and came to the pitman arm which is on my list of parts. I'm curious if with the steering gear would be compromised with the arm starting to work its way off.

Attachments

• 20231128_184344.jpg
    20231128_184344.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 42

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Starting to work its way off?

That grease cake looks pretty baked on to me. If there were bare metal showing, or even some solid cracks in the grease there may be a reason to be concerned but that pitman arm hasnt moved since the day it was bolted onto that steering gear.

No worries there bud.

cgbude

Reaction score
Ok, cool good to know. I never ended up attempting to remove pitman arm cause it has a 1 5/16 nut and I don't have any sockets that large. Using a wrench or breaker bar could damage bearing in steering box apparently.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a whole front end rebuild on my old 1990. I wanted to replace everything for piece of mind, including the pitman arm. I had to modify a puller to get it off, destroyed the puller in the process. Had to buy the socket to fit the nut, which ended up stripping since the amount of torque needed to seat the new arm was apparently the same amount of torque needed to strip the bigass nut. Had to order a new nut from the dealer since it was a specialty part. $$$.

I will probably never replace a pitman arm again unless the steering box is being replaced, too. It was totally unnecessary.

*edit* After replacing the pitman arm with the new one, there was a gap a little bigger than yours has now. It was seated very firmly and never had any issues.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you can use a really big crescent over the end of pitman to hold it while you impact it off. A large pipe wrench can hold it also , my half inch impact rips the nut it right off. If it's not worn out don't mess with it. How do you strip the threads if your using the correct torque settings? If your not using the correct tools for the job, your asking for headaches and problems, that's not a parts problem.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you can use a really big crescent over the end of pitman to hold it while you impact it off. A large pipe wrench can hold it also , my half inch impact rips the nut it right off. If it's not worn out don't mess with it. How do you strip the threads if your using the correct torque settings? If your not using the correct tools for the job, your asking for headaches and problems, that's not a parts problem.

When I did mine the threads stripped using a ratchet. No power tools.

Vic327

Reaction score
I've used breaker bars for years. Careful with pitman arm pullers parts fly fast and far when they break. A trick that works simetimes when you have a running car is to loosen the nut then turn the wheels lock to lock. Sometimes the pitman arm will pop off on it's own.