New GM L31 crate engine has awful oil pan noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
[mention]honkon [/mention] did your noise go away or at least get quieter as your oil warmed up?

I just drove it today for the first time and got it fully warm the the noise was probably 80% quieter. Which makes me wonder if the pickup is sitting on the bottom of the pan why heat would make it quiet down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's the pan clearance when cold issue mentioned earlier in this thread?

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[mention]honkon [/mention] did your noise go away or at least get quieter as your oil warmed up?

I just drove it today for the first time and got it fully warm the the noise was probably 80% quieter. Which makes me wonder if the pickup is sitting on the bottom of the pan why heat would make it quiet down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I know this isn’t my thread but mine gets quieter as it warms up.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
If GM is offering warranty then take it. Even if it means they do the work. As mentioned get all the details in writing first. Hold their nose to the grind stone if something isn't correct after the job is done. Take photos of the truck with a date code to prove any damage done in the dealership.

It is obviously a GM issue. Let them deal with it.

Ken

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can leave the motor and trans bolted in. If you remove I think 4 bolts securing the front diff to the frame you can lower it a down just enough to wiggle the pan out. First remove starter, oil filter housing, lower trans bell-housing cover, whatever else.
Typing this post churned up some bad memories fighting oil cooler lines. Let the dealer deal with it lol

I've done it both ways and it's a close call!........dangit anyway.

And yes, the oil filter adapter hides one of the oil pan bolts, and I've had to disconnect the oil cooler lines, remove the oil filter, and drop the adapter.

Bloodwater79

Reaction score
I would take it to GM, as stated by others, but it could be the pickup is not clearanced for the pan and is tapping the pan like that. I fixed a knock issue that several mechanics claimed were rods knocking due to clearance issues with valve covers that were too short. If the pickup was not raised a min of 1/4" it could be tapping like that

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes the noise would get quieter and almost go away as it warmed up. I'm not sure if the pickup has enough space in the pan to completely fall out of the oil pickup. Mine was definitely laying in the bottom of the pan by the time I removed it from the engine.
Give the bottom of your oil pan a slap and see what you hear. Also try really slamming on the brakes and see what the oil pressure does.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it both ways and it's a close call!........dangit anyway.

And yes, the oil filter adapter hides one of the oil pan bolts, and I've had to disconnect the oil cooler lines, remove the oil filter, and drop the adapter.
Yeah its a lot of fun right....not. Especially when you think you've got it back together, then fire it up and oil starts spraying from the cooler lines.
One thing to consider is if OP's truck is a 1500 or HD. That could change the oil pan removal procedure. Dunno.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah its a lot of fun right....not. Especially when you think you've got it back together, then fire it up and oil starts spraying from the cooler lines.
One thing to consider is if OP's truck is a 1500 or HD. That could change the oil pan removal procedure. Dunno.

This ones a 1500 Suburban 4x4.

Haven’t started the replacement on my 2500 CCSB yet, but it’s coming.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see that you have installed a 383 in place of a 350??? If you used the stock 350 oil pan you probably have something hitting the pan, the longer stroke means the crankshaft needs more room to rotate. Since my tapping goes completely away after it warms up and it runs soooo good and tows like crazy, I'm just going to live with it.

I'd take the new engine from GM. I'm lucky though, we have a GMC dealer in the area who's mechanics have been there forever, plus the one who dropped a 292 in my 1965 Chevy Van in 1988, he's getting old but is really really good.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see that you have installed a 383 in place of a 350??? If you used the stock 350 oil pan you probably have something hitting the pan, the longer stroke means the crankshaft needs more room to rotate. Since my tapping goes completely away after it warms up and it runs soooo good and tows like crazy, I'm just going to live with it.

I'd take the new engine from GM. I'm lucky though, we have a GMC dealer in the area who's mechanics have been there forever, plus the one who dropped a 292 in my 1965 Chevy Van in 1988, he's getting old but is really really good.

Sorry no it’s a 350, not a 383.

I wish it was though!