Need speaker help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to buy speakers next in order to get the wires run before i button up the interior. I want really good nice sounding speakers. I need four 4 inch speakers, 2 dash speakers, and the 2 speakers that go behind the seat. What do you guys suggest? I was looking at maybe kicker? Also, what do you guys think about these for a head unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14073549058...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_9726wt_1362

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would NOT trust that head unit at all. No brand name on it, and it's shipping from China. Shady specs, too. Stay far, far away.

Disclaimer; I buy a lot of stuff from China. Sometimes direct copies of products that would cost you three or four times as much for the authentic. This is not something I would feel comfortable doing that with.

In regards to the speakers, Kicker makes a good product but I'd go with their KS series or better. Just went over this in another thread the other day though, personally I'd go with these Polks for the price range. I've run them in other vehicles and I like them a lot. Great specs and they have a round bass driver which is usually superior to an oval.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-db461P-4-x-6-2-way-Plate-Style-Car-Boat-Speakers-Marine-Certified-/291408898275?

Last edited:

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want something a little higher end than the Polks, theres also these: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/est...earchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat740046

I have those in my dash and they sound phenomenal. Replaced 230$ MSRP Rockford Fosgate 4x6s (http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t1462) with these and these blow the RF's out of the water.

And I'm a big Rockford fan, so thats saying something. The 4x6's blew in about 7 months, I wasn't impressed considering every other Rockford product I've owned has been nothing short of amazing.

Now, that being said, you are never going to get much of any low end out of a 4" speaker.

If you REALLY want to improve the sound in the cab of one of these trucks, invest in a nice subwoofer setup and/or maybe even custom kick panels with 6.5's in them.

Kick panels are incredible, and in my opinion, one of the only ways to really get GOOD quality sound in these trucks. They can fit up to a 6.5" speaker and a 1" tweeter. These are mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.qlogicenclosures.com/q-products/q-forms/

Now, the other issue is that, replacing the rear speakers in these trucks is nearly impossible without breaking the panels that the speakers are hiding behind.

I'm seconding what df2x4 said. Run from that deck fast. Brand names are good when it comes to decks. Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, JVC (now part of Kenwood), and a couple of other brands are ALL good deck makers. Don't bother getting a fancy flipout deck, they really aren't all that fancy. What you gain in cool looks, you lose in functionality. If you want a big touchscreen, I'd recommend a double-din, but if you're in an 88-94, that won't be possible without pretty deep pockets. (Around 6-800$ to get into, including deck and a custom made Double-DIN adaptor from Driven Nashville)

So that leaves us some Single-DIN options. For 230$ you can get a damn nice Single-DIN with lots of sound quality settings/adjustments.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ute-52bt
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-153bt

Both of those have a 24bit D/A converter, a 9band Equalizer (you want atleast a 5band EQ in my opinion) and other nice features.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want something a little higher end than the Polks, theres also these: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/est...earchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat740046

Not to argue, but having run 4x6 plates from both Infinity and Polk in the same vehicle I can honestly say I liked the Polks better. Specs on paper are pretty much identical and the Polks are cheaper. Not to mention those Infinitys are 2 ohm impedance as opposed to the standard 4 ohms and may not work well with some decks.

EDIT - You're right about never getting real bass from a 4x6, although I wouldn't say that the kick panels with 6.5"s are absolutely necessary. I've run a system with four 4x6s and a single sub that sounded great. All depends on how you want to approach things.

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I really want/need a flip down unit and really really want/need one with a back up camera because it will be going in my headliner. I bought a highliner headliner and figured that the best place to put all of this along with the best looking. Now with this being said, what do you mean by its near impossible to replace the back speakers without breaking something? I have everything apart already. I just need to rewire so it makes life easier when it comes to having to wire the headunit. Do you guys know of anyone that offers a head unit like that?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't realize you were using an aftermarket headliner. So let me clarify, you need four 4" round speakers for that and the four interior speakers for the factory locations? What year is your truck? If this is the setup you're wanting to go with then I'd highly recommend getting an additional four channel amplifier to run some of those speakers. You could probably do some creative ohm's law calculation and figure out a way to make it function (sort of) just by running them off of the head unit, but everything will be so underpowered that it will sound awful and you'll have a mess of wiring.

I honestly have very little experience with any kind of video head units, I've helped install some but I've never had one in any of my vehicles. I did have a law enforcement style laptop mount in a '93 Maxima, that was pretty fun. :)

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is a 90 regular cab. I was planning on running them off the amplifier and yes that is the speaker configuration I need

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This changes things a little bit.

Also: I looked at the specs of those Polk's again and I have to agree, those actually do seem like a better choice than the Infinity's, considering price : performance ratio. I'd like to try those Polk's in my truck, guess we'll have to see if these Infinity's hold up!

And don't get me wrong, yes, 4x6's will do fine with a nice sub, but 6.5's are like night and day. It's a totally different game.

That being said, I think you'd greatly benefit in your setup to run 6.5's in kick panels and possibly just ditch the 4x6's in the dash. That in combination with the 4" speakers in your headliner will provide a much cleaner, less distorted soundstage. Having the 4x6's facing the windshield, reflecting off of there, on top of the 4" speakers in your headliner could start to cause some weird distortion. The kickpanels make sure the speakers are angled towards the driver, creating a much more accurate sound reproduction vs the 4x6's in the dash that use the windshield's angle to amplify their own sound by bouncing the soundwaves off of it, but also therefore losing quality, because the sound is now coming from two locations via one speaker.

As far as the flip-out deck goes, you're going to start having troubles finding something. Not many brands still make flipout decks, and the ones that do are usually cheap Wal-Mart brands like "Dual" or a low-end deck labeled as a higher end name. My friend had a Soundstream flipout deck like this, found out later that two other cheap brands sold the same deck he had, but his was labelled a soundstream, it was on their website and everything.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And don't get me wrong, yes, 4x6's will do fine with a nice sub, but 6.5's are like night and day. It's a totally different game.

I can't argue that. If I could use 6.5" rounds with component tweeters in every car audio install I would. Best speaker size on the market IMHO.

That being said, I think you'd greatly benefit in your setup to run 6.5's in kick panels and possibly just ditch the 4x6's in the dash. That in combination with the 4" speakers in your headliner will provide a much cleaner, less distorted soundstage. Having the 4x6's facing the windshield, reflecting off of there, on top of the 4" speakers in your headliner could start to cause some weird distortion. The kickpanels make sure the speakers are angled towards the driver, creating a much more accurate sound reproduction vs the 4x6's in the dash that use the windshield's angle to amplify their own sound by bouncing the soundwaves off of it, but also therefore losing quality, because the sound is now coming from two locations via one speaker.

However I do disagree with some of these statements. The speakers in his headliner are all rear mounted, right behind your head. I seriously doubt they'll interfere with his dash speakers at all. In regards to the sound reflecting off the windshield, this is not always a bad thing and I have to say in certain systems I actually enjoy it. CLT Audio sells separate tweeters than can be added to most of their component systems that were actually designed specifically for this purpose. Perosnally in his situation I'd leave the kick panels alone and put some of those Polks in the dash. It'll sound fine. If he adds 6.5"s and kick panels then that's more money, and two more channels of amplification that he'll have to pull from somewhere.

EDIT - Actually that's kind of a lie. Personally I wouldn't use that headliner at all but...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think it would be safe to buy that Hong Kong set? And for speakers, what size are the dash ones and the ones behind the seat? Should I use factory wiring or run my own speakers? I have 12 gauge speaker wire I could run to all the speakers. Which speakers should I amplify? I have a 1000 watt Sony explode that I used to have in another truck I thought about using. Do you guys suggest Polk over the kicker brand? I am really set on fining a flip screen because the uniqueness and the capabilities along with the back up camera which in a tall truck would be great to see little cars. I haven't finished my interior because this is what is holding me up.