Need speaker help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk it was just something I have seen in the past. I looked at amplifiers tonight actually. I thought about even ditching the fold down head unit and buying a really good one and buying one of those dvd screens for headrests and incorporating it in the glove box and then buying 2 mini amps so I can amplify all the speakers. Can you explain the amp add on kits? I don't really get the point of them if you can only run so much power to one speaker why you would add on or is there more benefit to it?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really have no idea what you mean, sorry. Amp add on kits? What are you referring to exactly? If you're asking why add amps in your situation it really has very little to do with power and a lot more to do with properly adjusting things IMHO. Also like I said, impedance, impedance, impedance.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tweeters on my front 4x6 speakers are higher than my speaker grills so I left them off and placed a Dash Matt on dash she looks better.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk it is a kit that has a cross over wire and ground and what not to add amps on a system I am assuming? What are the biggest speaker that I can fit in stock locations?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're looking at stuff like this... you'll be wiring the speakers directly to the amp. You don't need these weird selector boxes.

EDIT - I guess you could use something like this to adjust levels front to back a little better, but really at that point why not just add another amp? It's not that much more work and would probably take up less space.

In regards to the amp kit, I'm guessing you just mean the wiring and stuff? I almost always just buy this stuff separately or use what I have laying around so I don't have much experience with the install kits. The important thing to know is what gauge wire to use for your main power and ground connections. Crutchfield is a good research tool.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XHJ3opGa98m/learn/learningcenter/car/cable_gauge_chart.html

Other than that you need 18ga wire for the remote wire, at least two sets of RCAs long enough to reach from your amps to your head unit (I'd get three), a battery fuse holder, and some assorted terminals and connectors. Most of the install kits should come with this stuff, but you'll probably need a couple extra distribution blocks for splitting up power to your amps.

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my question regarding the link is being that it has 8 speaker options and allows you to hook to one amp and allows all the speakers to be amplified. I would still be running 2 amps, one to that selector and one to the subs but I'm not sure if I am understanding that link properly and if it would work. I am trying to think of the best way to do something without spending like a thousand dollars on amps alone and getting good results and saving a little money so I can splurge elsewhere

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you are understanding it properly. Even if you only use one four channel amp on the eight mid/high speakers you don't need that. You wire everything directly to the amp, or do like we said earlier and run four off the deck and four off that four channel. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the selector.

I don't mean any offense so please don't take this the wrong way, but I really think you should do some pretty deep research on audio systems and electronics in general before you attempt to do this. My gut tells me if you don't you're going to have a lot of time and money invested in something that didn't turn out like you thought it would.

EDIT - Either that or ditch the headliner idea and keep it simple.

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the headliner and am not going to ditch it. I understand audio systems pretty well however there are some things I have never dealt with such as that splitter. Like anything, there is technology out there that can do anything you want or can do it easier and that's what I was trying to learn. I was just trying to see if by using the selector, it says you can amplify all 8 speakers at once using one or more amps so I thought if I could do 8, why settle for only 4. I have actually done a fair amount of sound systems but felt like trying something new and different to fit the theme of this truck...different and tasteful. I already picked out several different type amps as a fall back if I couldn't design something different. And to further your question about the amp add on, it has a distribution block and includes the wires as well. It allows you to add more amps in series but I wasn't sure how it piggy backed to up the power to speakers or if it is just designed to save the person from running another power wire from the battery to supply the second amp. Here is a link to one and yes I know its a crappy walmart brand but It is nothing I have ever used so I figured I would ask.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scosche-Dua...417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4635b75a79