Stupid speaker question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not familiar much with the audio on these trucks. Just replaced factory radio with jvc from crutchfield and used there ready harness.

Also replaced front door speakers with kicker ds series since the factorys were blown.

The front doors seem wrather quite compared to the factory rears. When I put all sound on the front doors they sound great just not as loud as rears. Is this because they are aftermarket. I know I need to do the rears also because they sound terrible.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Door speakers.. I assume this is a '95+ year truck. Don't know if we're talking regular, extended or quad cab, would help to know.

Best guess is that the factory speakers have a much higher sensitivity rating than the Kicker speakers, so they're playing louder as a result. Pretty much why my #1 criteria for speaker is sensitivity. Anything lower than 95dB with 1 watt @ 1 meter is awful to me, but good luck finding stuff at or above it.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Door speakers.. I assume this is a '95+ year truck. Don't know if we're talking regular, extended or quad cab, would help to know.

Best guess is that the factory speakers have a much higher sensitivity rating than the Kicker speakers, so they're playing louder as a result. Pretty much why my #1 criteria for speaker is sensitivity. Anything lower than 95dB with 1 watt @ 1 meter is awful to me, but good luck finding stuff at or above it.
I have a 97 extended cab.

That makes sense. So if I do after marekt rears it should balance out lol.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Get the Kickers from the same series and then use the fader to adjust to taste. It's a car, the sound will never be ideal or perfect.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Yes,to plain speak it, the factory speakers were optimized to the lower output of the factory radio, so now with a more powerful head it’s like you turned them up to 11.
the aftermarket front are probably more optimized for headinit or even amplifier power levels So they are less loud fro the same current… but can handle a lot more current.

Depending on how nice that head is, it may have settings for speaker levels you can use to turn the rears down with out resorting to fader.
until I tweaked the amp settings on mine I had to turn the rears down about -8db to balance with the front In the head unit. Now the rears are at full left on the gain for almost no amp output And the levels amd fader are centered.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I changed both front and rear to Infinity Reference speakers (front dash corner and rear pillar) in my '94. The sound is very even with the replaced Retrosound head unit.