Need help for conversions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't worry about writing so much, info is always good. Paragraphs are gooder!!! Lol

The whole part after checking the computer is not making any sense to me, not that I'm a genius or anything. I THINK you are talking about checking the resistance in the plug wires.

Anyway, since you seem like you are definitely heading in the carb direction I think your best bet is find an old non computer transmission and I'm sure there are adapters available so you don't have to change intake manifold. Check Summit or Jegs. You will have to get a adjustable fuel pressure regulator as the vortec pump will be way too much for a carburator.
I'm pretty sure you will need a new distributor and ignition system too (I'm a TBI guy) as the computer does the timing advance on a vortec.

I'm sure(hope!!!) others much wiser than I chime in as well.
Like I said, there are other threads on here about doing the same. If you Google search it, I'm sure they will send you back here to the right ones.

Ole2tone

Reaction score
Yeah 55 psi is a lot more than the 8 or sum for the carb it’ll be a long journey ish but I always love to hear new stuff and learn things. Thanks

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4L60E needs some sort of computer to tell it what to do. I wonder if you could reuse the stock unit by feeding it a TPS signal? Otherwise aftermarket trans controller will take care of that.
And at least MAF sensor or the upshifts are harsh and/because it's running full line pressure all the time which is as welcome as another orifice.
Computer also controls ignition and does lots of things to look after the engine eg, knock prevention (including checking knock sensors) etc.
If the current problem isn't fuelling related - then it's still going to be there with a carb. Setting up a carb with an unresolved background issue - no thanks!
A few extra sensors and wiring is a small price to pay for the sophistication the computer brings. Other opinions are available.

Captainfab

Reaction score
IMO converting one of these trucks to a carb opens up a whole can of worms. You think you have problems now. As already stated the 4L60E needs a PCM (computer) to function plus feedback from other sensors. Yes you can swap in a TH350, or 700R4 but then you will have no speedo and likely none of your dash gauges are going to work without engine sensor input via the PCM (computer). It sounds like you guys already have your mind made up. I just think you will end up regretting your decision. It's going to be more headache than just fixing the current issue of cutting out.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've contemplated a carb swap on a 7.4 5 speed into a 95 ecsb z71 but talked myself into doing the full computer swap when I get rid of the tbi 5.7 4l60e. If it doesn't get the 7.4 it's getting a vortec 5.7 4l60 with the computer.
You can probably run the trans with the stock computer and the motor with a carb and hei distributor. If it's 4x4 find a older 700r4 and transfer case and drive shafts from a same truck. If you keep the 4l60e you need a test on the carb for the computer to run the trans. Best of luck

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technology marches on. I grew up with high school parking lot full of 60's , 70's , muscle cars. Rather than give up, get the OE service manuals , and use your mechanic skills to upgrade yourselves. Getting that fuel injection repaired and running will do way more for you than a carb gobbled on. Your mechanics? RTFM , and your skills can do it right.