Need help for conversions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole2tone

Reaction score
Got a 5.7V fuel injection. We’re switching to carburetor. Switching intake all those goodies. Will the transmission still be fine? Papas worried about it. He wants to make sure it stills shifts performs properly. Don’t really know much about that. Also, we’re looking for a cam. Nothing giant nothing stock but a little above stock. Just a cam and maybe get pushrods timing etc. Aimimg for roller motor. Just need some help looking around. As well as transmission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Due to the huge variety of engines and transmissions in the gmt400 platform, we need to know exactly what vehicle you have. Year, engine, transmission, and what your goals are. Specifics. We need details please!
What you're trying to do has been done, but we can't be of much help or reassurance without details!

Ole2tone

Reaction score
My fault. It’s a 5.7V 350 transmission ima be honest he just says it’s a newerish transmission from newer truck that had same plug ins and fit on it. Goals are just to switch over to carburetor. Heard transmission can cause problems need to know what all problems I’ll run into while doing carb swap. Roller Cam just something a lil bigger than stock.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fault. It’s a 5.7V 350 transmission ima be honest he just says it’s a newerish transmission from newer truck that had same plug ins and fit on it. Goals are just to switch over to carburetor. Heard transmission can cause problems need to know what all problems I’ll run into while doing carb swap. Roller Cam just something a lil bigger than stock.
What year bud? TBI or Vortec? Manual or automatic?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. So now we know the year.
You most likely (99.99%) chance your transmission is a 4L60e, that means it's going to be computer controlled.
There are aftermarket controllers for them, but they are expensive.

What is the reason for wanting to go carburator?

If the motor is giving you trouble, then let us know what's going on. There is a very high likelihood that someone here can help get it sorted without the "need" to go carb.

Ole2tone

Reaction score
One just switching to get rid of the million wires on the motor looks ugly to him and I and just cause honestly. Problem currently is just motor runs, shuts off randomly don’t matter speed or what. We’ve tried bout everything so we just gonna go carb cause again why not. Get rid of all the sensors more of that. If it still acts up we plan on rebuilding it.. again. More performance wise later tho.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well....those are valid reasons I guess.
I'm not one to judge others reasons behind things, was just trying to save you a LOT of work for nothing if we could help you with your issues.

Anyway, MY suggestion then is to find a old non computer transmission and run that. Or I guess you could add a manual valve body and a floor shifter of your choosing.

There are other carb swap threads on here. Use the search function and they will pop up. Maybe you will get some good ideas.

Again....I'll offer this.
Unless you are 100% hellbent on doing this, let us know what going on.
I read the cutting out issue. A few things can be wrong there. You want help working that issue out before ripping everything out?

Ole2tone

Reaction score
Already kinda heading towards the whole ripping stuff out been doing it already. I’ve looked up so much on the motor shutting off done so much to it little to big stuff nothing working. Pretty hellbent on it really, we can definitely find a transmission for it. The motor was rebuilt my papas way, used a bunch of the same parts honestly and it was running absolutely fantastic. Shifted good ran smooth quite sounded like a brand new motor. Then had an issue where it kept cutting out. While driving can’t do that, lose power steering and the power breaks. Almost taken out a sign or 2 and been late to school a few times. Over time tho it just fixed itself. Ran for like 6-7 months and switched the oil sensor under distributor and it started doing it again got new distributor anyways needed it and replaced the oil sensor again did a bunch of little things on it and still ain’t had it running. Got it to run again but can’t keep its self going still shutting off. All kind of reasons that can cause it running off a real low budget as well(Poorboy license plate) and it’s just overall money money money. He’s got a carburetor so not spending money on that just need the intake some other little thingies and figure the transmission issue out. Checked the computer, no misfires on 1,2,3. Had 30k on 4, 5 had maybe 100 or so,6 had about 8k, 7 had around 6k and 8 had close to 9k. Had no clue replaced the wires and spark plugs just to give it a little more and still didn’t do nothing. We work on usually older cars like the 65 and 63 we got and usually more of a no wires on basically anything. Which is what we’re kinda aiming for here. Get rid of wires. We don’t understand all the computer stuff. We’ll prob just stick to the whole carburetor thing. Work it out and clean it up some. Didn’t mean to type so much sorry.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4L60E needs some sort of computer to tell it what to do. I wonder if you could reuse the stock unit by feeding it a TPS signal? Otherwise aftermarket trans controller will take care of that.