Need 454 tall upper radiator brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The only cooling RPO that I see for my truck is this: KNP COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY HVY DUTY TRANS CLG SYS(KNP)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Maybe related, maybe not. There's got to be some RPO (or multiple) that triggers choosing the taller radiator during the build process. It may be as simple as if the truck has a 6.5 or a 7.4, so the related codes for those engines are what it takes.

Richard

KNP looks like it's the external transmission cooler on the front of my radiator.... which is why it sounded familar when I saw it, with all the ATF cooler talk on the forum.

FitsAuxiliary; Cab & Chassis; 2 door; 135.5" Wheelbase; 159.5" Wheelbase; 10000 LBS Gross Vehicle Weight(C7A), 11000 LBS Gross Vehicle Weight(C7E), 12000 LBS Gross Vehicle Weight(C7L), Heavy Duty Trans Cooling System (KNP), 9000-9200LB Gross Vehicle Weight Utility Body Chassis (8S9)
orAuxiliary; 4 door; 168.5" Wheelbase; Heavy Duty Trans Cooling System (KNP)
orAuxiliary; Cab & Chassis; Extended Cab Pickup; 2 door; 155.5" Wheelbase; Heavy Duty Trans Cooling System (KNP)
orAuxiliary; Crew Cab Pickup; 154.5" Wheelbase; Heavy Duty Trans Cooling System (KNP)
orAuxiliary; Cab & Chassis; Standard Cab Pickup; 2 door; 131.5" Wheelbase; Heavy Duty Trans Cooling System (KNP)

runnincool

Reaction score
Im able to read these replys now and think about what you guys are saying and will respond better tonight.
thank you
Runnincool

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this but would a 454 radiator direct fit into a 5.7 rad support (assuming you have the mounting brackets of course) and would it even be worth this mod for an almost stock 350? (not pushing more than 400hp)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this but would a 454 radiator direct fit into a 5.7 rad support (assuming you have the mounting brackets of course) and would it even be worth this mod for an almost stock 350? (not pushing more than 400hp)
What most people consider to be the radiator support (the actual steel portion) is the same size across all models and engines except the 3500HD which is taller. There are variations in the support mostly over year models.

What changes when you use a different radiator are the shroud pieces and the hoses, and the position of the rubber isolators. There are wider and taller shroud pieces.

Richard

runnincool

Reaction score
Yes Jesse you can get the 454 taller upper shroud from classic chevy truck, the radiator from several places i got mine from auto zone. Make sure you get the short filler neck or the hood wont close. remember that the 7.4 big block engine is longer and the 7.4 upper shroud is like 2.5 inches shorter so your fan wont reach. Im told your fan needs to be half in and half out. a small block useing a big block shroud will be all out. you can get longer fan spacer from Summit or Jegs. the 7.4 shroud since it is shorter is not an exact fit with your lower shroud, you can only get 2 of the 4 upper to lower screws in, unless you can find the lower 7.4 shroud half.
IF i had it all to do again i would find a thicker ( more flues) radiator. cause remember the 7.4 upgrade radiator is only 2 inches taller it is the same width and thickness. and i have spent 4 months looking for the upper radiator brackets to no avail. most people have never heard of them, i was one of those people untill 4 months ago.
Let me know if i can help further.
Runnincool

runnincool

Reaction score
Im sorry Jesse your question was would it be worth it for a mostly stock small block.
Not unless its overheating in my opinion.
Runnincool

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What most people consider to be the radiator support (the actual steel portion) is the same size across all models and engines except the 3500HD which is taller. There are variations in the support mostly over year models.

What changes when you use a different radiator are the shroud pieces and the hoses, and the position of the rubber isolators. There are wider and taller shroud pieces.

Richard

I put a tall, narrow radiator in the flipper dually and it fit the tall mounts. The end tanks appear to be the same as do the tank flange areas, so either tall mount should work. I used to have extras but I tossed them.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
The 7.4 big block engine is longer and the 7.4 upper shroud is like 2.5 inches shorter so your fan wont reach. Im told your fan needs to be half in and half out. a small block using a big block shroud will be all out. you can get longer fan spacer from Summit or Jegs. the 7.4 shroud since it is shorter is not an exact fit with your lower shroud, you can only get 2 of the 4 upper to lower screws in, unless you can find the lower 7.4 shroud half.
Not unless its overheating in my opinion.
Sounds like more effort than it's worth for my setup lol. Thank you for all the knowledge though :) Enjoy that link