My 88 C1500 "The Go-Get-Mobile"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the Silverado decal that goes on the door inside? I found all kinds of door post decals but can't find this one that ran away a couple years ago.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shot the dash with Pacific Blue. Kind of a PITA masking it. I've done so much masking and unmasking, I could work for the Obama administration!

Before
You must be registered for see images attach

Masked

Unmasked - so far, I've used up 2 cans of Pacific Blue and 1-1/2 cans of Satin Gloss Clear.

I did the center Metra vent/single din radio on the bench so I could take the vents out before paint. I also sprayed flat black on the glove box latch. I'll reassemble them tomorrow. One problem I have is the vents are too loose and won't stay in place, they wind up pointing down at your knee caps. Does anyone have a good trick to tighten them up?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know most of the interior parts you painted comes off fairly easily, IIRC......
Yeah, I'm afraid the 32 year old plastic might not like it, ha ha.

Do you still have the original swirl port heads on the motor?
Nope, I have the Summit Racing aluminum heads. I posted most of what I did to the engine in the 1st few of this thread.

Edit: The engine build starts on post #3

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good trick to tighten them up?
I figured I'd try something - I took a piece of 3/16" X 3/4" weatherstripping (I used to help reduce wind noise on my door) and stuck it on the side of the housing.

Then I installed the vent. It took a little prying to get the wire clip in place but the vent now stays where I point it, yay!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For now, I wound up using the 3" - 3 chamber "Performance Muffler" the PO installed before I bought it.
Here's a little history with my old muffler; it started rusting out making my exhaust louder but it didn't sound good. Here we pounded it back close.

Then I went looking for some sheet metal to patch it but I didn't have anything thinner than 14ga so...

It worked fine for a few weeks then, when I was pulling out of the Lowe's parking lot I saw a car coming up pretty fast. I gunned it and all of a sudden it sounded like I had straight pipes. I figured it was my patch that ripped out so I ordered a 3" Borla Pro XS straight through muffler and an extension pipe.

Came to find out the cat blew off the Y pipe but, since I already ordered the muffler, what the hell (rabbit hole). So, we cut the old muffler out and welded the new one in place.

Put everything back under the truck clamped and tack welded the cat to the Y pipe, tack welded the left section of the Y pipe where it is clamped, and welded everything else so, nothing will come loose again! Mounted it in 3 different places - 1 in front of the muffler and 2 behind. Got it tucked up nice.

Sounds a lot throatier and I probably gained a couple ponies too, even with the cat still installed.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm afraid the 32 year old plastic might not like it, ha ha.

Good point.........I've broke a few pieces of plastic.....

Nope, I have the Summit Racing aluminum heads. I posted most of what I did to the engine in the 1st few of this thread.

Edit: The engine build starts on post #3

I did read the thread when you started it, forgot that part in the mean time.....sorry!

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sh*t Happens on the Front End!
The LAST time my daughter borrowed my truck, somehow it got hit in the front bumper - nobody knows how?

My son and I took it off - a little out of line...

With a lot of heat and a BFH, we got it somewhat straight (notice the OE Parking/Turn Signal lenses).

After - a summer of hot desert sun, the valance actually straightened out (somewhat) on its own

After plus new Parking/Turn Signal lenses. Not bad huh (maybe not)? Maybe when I go further down that rabbit hole, I'll get a new bumper with trim and no front license plate holes.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah - a couple months ago I got my "Historic Plate" for my truck - made out of copper since, AZ is the copper state as well as the Grand Canyon State. $25 for the plate and $10/year going on.