Max alternator voltage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to buy only Optimas, but once Johnson Controls bought them out, their quality declined and the price went through the roof. Wal-Mart batteries (also built by Johnson Controls) have been great, for 1/3 the price.

Some people say Optimas handle deep-cycling better. That's BS.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

Any idea what's the max alternator voltage we can run without killing the stock radio, gauges, ECM, etc.?

My truck is an '89 5.7L C2500 with stock gauges, a '7427 TBI ECM from a '95, and stock '89 radio.

I have a couple aftermarket amps that will go into protect at 16 volts. The battery can be charged up to 16.8 volts so it's not a concern.

I was thinking about setting the alternator to around 15.5V. I've been trying to look up info on the electronics in this truck but I can't seem to find any info on working voltage range limits.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you

- I've looked up individual parts (ecm, fuel pump, electric fans) on Rockauto, AC Delco, and the Standard Motor Products websites, if they list anything it's just 12 volts, not a max or min

What are you trying to achieve with this? In almost every case for what people are generally upgrading, what you actually need is more current, not more voltage. There are plenty of 12V system voltage alternator upgrades if you need more current, and if you're trying to keep a sound system going, you need either more battery or more capacitance to handle the spikes. More voltage won't help you.

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you mentioned your using the stock radio from 1989, and I’m just kinda thinking out loud here. I could see it possibly being hard on the 32 year old factory stereo. maybe 15 volts is not enough to hurt it, but any more than that I think would, especially if the radio has any 10 or 16 volt electrolytic capacitors in it.

I wonder if anyone has had to make repairs, and or restored the factory 88-94 radio’s. I seem to remember reading a thread one time where somebody refurbished, and repaired one of the factory equalizer’s. I’ve never taken any of these apart, and I’m by no means an electronics guru.

Last edited: