Max alternator voltage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

Any idea what's the max alternator voltage we can run without killing the stock radio, gauges, ECM, etc.?

My truck is an '89 5.7L C2500 with stock gauges, a '7427 TBI ECM from a '95, and stock '89 radio.

I have a couple aftermarket amps that will go into protect at 16 volts. The battery can be charged up to 16.8 volts so it's not a concern.

I was thinking about setting the alternator to around 15.5V. I've been trying to look up info on the electronics in this truck but I can't seem to find any info on working voltage range limits.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you

- I've looked up individual parts (ecm, fuel pump, electric fans) on Rockauto, AC Delco, and the Standard Motor Products websites, if they list anything it's just 12 volts, not a max or min

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you're going for here. Mine runs at 14.5 all day, and I have zero issues. Most alternators are in the that range as well. The voltage regulator is what determines this, but what's the advantage to running higher voltage than this other than slightly brighter lights at the price of more corrosion, and possibly damaging digital equipment?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need a new battery and wanting to change to Lithium Titanate. I'm just trying to figure out how I want to go about it. They charge at a higher voltage than lead acid, around 16.2 volts.

The reason I asked is because if the radio, gauges, and ECM would run properly at 15.5, then I could wire everything up and be done. If not, I would either have to go with a DC/DC converter for the electronics, or just run everything at 14.6 and not charge the batteries all the way.

To adjust voltage I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVSE2WI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I need a new battery and wanting to change to Lithium Titanate. I'm just trying to figure out how I want to go about it. They charge at a higher voltage than lead acid, around 16.2 volts.

The reason I asked is because if the radio, gauges, and ECM would run properly at 15.5, then I could wire everything up and be done. If not, I would either have to go with a DC/DC converter for the electronics, or just run everything at 14.6 and not charge the batteries all the way.

To adjust voltage I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVSE2WI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

How many batteries do you have? I wonder if you couldn't just split the alternator's output? So 16 or whatever to just the audio stuff and 14ish to everything else. Or just send it and see what survives and what doesn't.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just the one battery.

A LiFePo4 battery would be more of a direct replacement but they don't charge below freezing.

There's a fair chance I'll need to move to the Midwest. Hense the Lithium Titanate, they tolerate the cold weather.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're dead set on it, you'll need a power management solution to take 14.4-14.8V and step up to the charging voltage of the battery and then take that voltage and step it down to 14.8ish volts to go to the rest of the system. Count on a couple or few hundred bucks for that, vs. just running dual AGM batteries for the cost of just the power management system, just saying.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no input on the original question, but I think the two posters above me have a good point. I live in the Midwest and run Odyssey AGM batteries in my vehicles. I'm just about to replace the first one (of three) that I've purchased. It lasted seven years. Still starts the truck no problem but fails load testing. The truck that it's in sits outside in the winter for weeks at a time regularly.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have no input on the original question, but I think the two posters above me have a good point. I live in the Midwest and run Odyssey AGM batteries in my vehicles. I'm just about to replace the first one (of three) that I've purchased. It lasted seven years. Still starts the truck no problem but fails load testing. The truck that it's in sits outside in the winter for weeks at a time regularly.

I used to be an Optima guy. Until the last two we bought required us to take each back one or two times until we got good ones.. Heard good things about Odyssey AGM's and so I'm the first of us to experiment with them. Got one in the Fireturd and then my truck, so far, so good. Ash and I are still running our Yellow Tops, one in the Lincoln and one in her truck. I think those are approaching six or seven years old now. Need to load test those but hers still starts her truck up just fine in the cold.