Maroon96's 1996 C2500 Daily Driver Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently found this forum and, after spending some time looking and learning, decided to start a build thread to keep track of the changes I make to my truck. It will probably be slow going, but I've got a lot of plans to clean this truck up, make it one of a kind, and hopefully keep it around for a long time.

188123-cab8cb42c9502efb90852e1f1da1a4aa.jpg
You must be registered for see images attach

I became the third owner of this truck in the spring of 2014 with approximately 115,000 miles on it. At the moment, it has about 170,000. The first thing I did was pull the old, faded bug shield off and add some window visors and seat covers. The seats were in pretty good shape, but starting to show the normal wear on the drivers side.

When purchased, the truck came with two different sized tires. 265's on one diagonal and smaller tires on the other. It came with the grill guard on it, two fog lamps, and a cb antenna. The previous owner had used the truck for camping and installed overload bags, mud flaps, and tie down points for the camper.

188124-3d200749b9765fe888ace774bff53daf.jpg

Over the last few years, I have replaced all the front end lighting with clear reflectors, led parking lights, and some new fog lights my dad had. The old steel wheels have been replaced with aluminum ones, I purchased a low profile tool box and Chris Ledoux sticker for the back, and replaced the head unit with a simple Pioneer deck. I eventually cleaned off what was left of the pinstriping/stickers on the sides. Any other changes/repairs that I have made will be referenced in the Summary of Mods below.

188125-95aa01f90f9e5ea646e05cf97877a909.jpg
188126-eecb8a1d65a36252bc3c2c8343d233b6.jpg

Last edited:

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Summary of Mods

This is meant to be a concise list of changes, and maybe repairs, made to the truck for quick and easy reference. I will update this list as things happen.

New Pioneer Radio
Low Profile Saddle Toolbox
DRL Delete
Door Chime Delete
Window Visors
Seat Covers
Aftermarket Wheels
B&W Turnover Ball
New Intake Manifold Gaskets
New Water Pump
New Fuel Pump

Last edited:

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oilfield Wreck

In 2016, I was behind a head on collision of two tankers in west Texas. There was damage done to the front bumper, grille, hood, roof, and drivers side door. These pictures were taken after I had cleaned the windshield off, which was covered in oil, asphalt, and who knows what else. Halfway through the wreck I was steering blind. When viewed at the right angle, there are still spots I couldn't get out on the window deflectors and hood from the oil or diesel or something.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New Mirrors

Got some tow mirrors in the other day.

I talked with the guys at boost auto parts and was able to get them wired for heated glass. They came with two black/white striped wires which plug into the backside. Now I just need HVAC controls with the rear defrost button.

I pulled the mirrors apart to wire them for dual function running/signal lights and managed to break one of the smaller mirrors. I have a new piece coming next week. Once I get that in, put things back together, and have the caps painted they should be ready to go.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up some stuff from the junkyard.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a couple days late posting, but I got some work done on the truck through Sunday. I started by pulling of the window deflectors to get them out of the way of the new mirrors. I also cleaned and painted some tow hooks and wiper arms.
Before:

After:

Got some self contained lighting put in the tool box as well. I've still got some kinks to work out so they come on automatically, but so far they work good.

Finally, I put in some JDM LED reverse lights and today I picked up my mirror caps from being painted. Hopefully I can get those on within the next week.

Left is the JDM bulb. Right is the stock halogen. They're not quite as bright as I was hoping, but are much brighter than stock and better than the picture shows.

Last edited:

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my some suburban AC controls in with red LEDs and was able to pull enough wire from the 'burb to reach my back window. Now I'll be able to get my heated mirrors tied in and add a rear defrost in the future.

Speaking of mirrors, I got my tow mirrors on the other day. I'm still working on the wiring, so I'll get some pictures once the lights work. I also switched out the door and dome lights for LED's and got Torque Pro set up on an old phone.

Yesterday I scored a drivers side battery tray, overhead console, and some wiring harnesses at the junkyard for about $14. The console came out of an extended cab half ton. I'm going to use parts from my blazer console to add DIC and fix up one of the storage compartments. That'll be easier than trying to make the blazer console fit.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally finished wiring my mirrors today. Since my last post, I realized one of the courtesy lights was burnt out. I had a couple extra LEDs so I replaced both of them. Also got one of the LMC clear dome light covers. Here's some pics, couldn't get any good ones of the interior lights.

I was planning on getting some auxiliary work lights under the bumper at some point, but with the JDM LED bulbs and my mirror lights I really don't need them anymore. It's way brighter than the stock configuration and the pictures don't do it justice. I may decide to go ahead with it down the road anyways just for hooking up trailers and what not.