Maroon96's 1996 C2500 Daily Driver Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On another note, these are the correct bolts to perform the upper knockouts, correct? So all I need is the knockout removal tool?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put new lights on the grille guard earlier. My dad had some led spots that came with the bumper for his old truck. Since he doesn't have the truck anymore, he gave me the lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a quick, partial update for some changes coming to the truck. First being that I ordered everything to rebuild the front end. I was hoping to do a 4.5 in spindle lift and bilstein 5100's while I have everything apart, but that looks like it will have to wait. Hopefully this winter or next summer I can get to it.

I also have a couple updates for lighting. I've got a plug and play HD/4 high harness mostly done. Just waiting on some more solder and some connectors. That solder will come in handy for some led pods I picked up to put behind the grille. I'm going to use two, five pin relays to wire them so that they come on with a switch anytime, but turn off automatically when the low beams are activated. That should be plenty of light for this truck.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front end parts are piling up.

Got my 4 High/HD headlight harness finished and installed, as well as some more pods behind the grille to light up the ditches.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started pulling the front end apart after work. Got all the steering and sway bar components off. Didn't get the control arms off yet like I'd hoped. I didn't have the right size socket or wrench for the pitman arm, so it took me awhile to figure out how to get it off. Ended up using a crescent wrench with cheater pipe, a map torch, and a couple more shots of PB Blaster. I ordered some new sockets to put things back together properly.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I could use some new shocks.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well today was a bust. Got off work early and started back to work on my truck all afternoon and into the evening. Only got the shocks off and one ball joint loose from the spindle. One of my front, lower shock mount bolts snapped and I spent awhile looking for replacements. The only thing I could find was from LMC. Part number 31-0267. Then I had the top nut on that same shock seize up. Even with heat I couldn't get it off. I tried vice grips and ended up marring the stud. I tried cutting the nut off and got into the stud. Ended up cutting it all the way off and ordering some new shocks. I was hoping not to spend more money on it right now but my shocks were long gone anyways.

Then I spent awhile trying to get the control arms off. The ball joints are stuck in the spindle pretty good. My pickle fork wouldn't quite fit on the lower ball joints. I got one of the upper joints loosened, soaked everything in PB Blaster yet again, and quit for the night. Also looks like one of my spindles might be cracked some. I'm kind of tired of spending money on it right now, but I was wanting to do a spindle lift at some point anyways. So I guess it'll be a good excuse for that.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worked on the truck some more this evening. Finally got the ball joints knocked loose from the spindle and pulled everything but the UCA's. Started cutting the old bushings with a sawzall to get them out. Only got part way through as the sawzall was heating up and burning through battery pretty good. Anybody know a good way to get them out?

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worked for a few hours this evening. Only got the bushings out of one lower control arm. Tried an angle grinder, then a torch, and ended up using a plasma cutter and some punches/chisels. Then I tried getting the ball joint pressed out for awhile with no luck.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I had today off from work, I stayed up late working on the truck last night. Got done around 2am. I finished getting the ball joints and bushings out, wire wheeled the sway bar and control arms the best I could, and painted everything.

Also managed to bend my brand new ball joint press.

I was having trouble with one of my ball joints and thought I'd put a little heat on it like a stuck nut. That didn't work. The inside melted. I cranked and got it half way out with a breaker bar and cheater pipe. It broke in half and I had to beat the rest out with a hammer.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to add...

I didn't do to much on the truck today. Just put a side post adapter terminal in for my HD headlight harness. Also started putting the new upper control arms on, but one of the ball joints got damaged in shipping. I went through Rock Auto's return system and within a couple hours they emailed me back confirming store credit allowing me to order a new ball joint shipped express.