Maroon96's 1996 C2500 Daily Driver Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday I got the ball joints and bushings in my lower control arms. That sucked. Next time I'm definitely taking them into a shop or buying all new control arms. My press isn't big enough to fit over the bushings so I used a bench vise. Even with being frozen and lubricated, I had a hard time getting them in and ended up bending my control arms in a little. Then I had to sit on my control arms on the ground while using a two foot breaker bar to crank on my press. Ended up getting them most of the way on and bending my press even more. I did have to hit them a couple times with a big hammer to get them fully seated. I'm not sure if I was having so much trouble just because of my press or if the new paint took up to much space.

Today I got all the control arms on. I found the best way to get the bolts in was with one of those pointy bars you use to get holes lined up. Things went on pretty smooth once I figured that out. Also got the spring, spindle, and rotor back on the passenger side. Hopefully I can get the sway bar and steering components on tomorrow evening then finish up the drivers side and shocks when parts come in Monday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today was a slow one for the truck. Maybe somebody here can help me out? I was going to put the steering components and sway bar back on. I couldn't get the pitman arm fully seated. I saw a video where the guy said to tighten the nut to push it on then take it off and put it back on the final time with the lock washer. Well mine didn't go all the way on. It got to the point where the nut feels tight by hand but is easy to turn with a wrench. Problem is it won't tighten or loosen. Just spins around. I was hoping to get the center link on and limp it to the shop to let them fix it when they do the alignment, but I can't quite get that on either. Maybe because the pitman arm is not on all the way?

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a eureka moment at work this morning thinking about my truck. I thought maybe I could just pull the idler arm bracket/idler arm off to get the center link on. Sure enough, it worked like a charm and everything came together quick. I'll just have the shop look at the pitman arm/gearbox when I get it aligned.

Then I got the drivers side spring, rotor, etc. put back together. Just the tie rod ends, sway bar parts, and shocks left.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rain slowed me down for a minute. Then I remembered I had a spare tarp laying around. Got the tie rod ends on and sway bar mostly on. Still have a little finagling to do to get everything tightened up.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finished putting things back together last night. (Edit: Front end rebuilt at about 176,500 miles)

Then went and had the alignment done today. It's amazing the difference new shocks make. Came in over time and over budget, but I'm glad to be officially done with it.

Last edited:

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man that looks great! Well done!

Thanks. It turned into a lot more work than I thought it would, but it's one more thing checked off the books.

I agree. I would also like to see all the photos.

I'm not sure what happened to them or how to fix them. They were just general pictures of the truck. I believe I've got them all covered in the other photos anyways.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I rewired my cargo lights to go on with the switch regardless of what the dome lights are doing the other day.

Everything was soldered and sealed properly. At some point I'd like to replace the lights with some brighter LED's. If anyone has some good ones, I'd love to hear which ones they are.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the passenger side caliper the other day at about 177,*** miles.

Moved to Idaho today and my truck started running funny on the way. I know for sure I have one o2 sensor out. Not sure what else might be going on. Also need to replace the pinion seal.