Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 weeks of trial and error though. LOL.

Now we can do fun stuff like swapping the bed from the donor truck. I should get a new fuel pump while we're at it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
3 weeks of trial and error though. LOL.

Now we can do fun stuff like swapping the bed from the donor truck. I should get a new fuel pump while we're at it.

My K1500 with a Whipple has a stock GM pump FWIW. If you're gonna add boost, I've had good luck with my AEM 340lph in tank unit. It's overkill unless you're gonna boost it though. I would have gone smaller, but this was a pump recommended by a local shop who has good luck with them.

You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered about that, but even if it's "enough" pump it could be the original pump with 25 years of use and 245k miles on it. With the bed off it will be the easiest the job is ever going to be.

This is going to be my teenaged son's truck. It's fast enough as it is. Boost is not in my plans for it. I am going to try and develop a daily drive tune with a lower speed/rpm limit and a track tune for use only at the track.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say just keep your pump. I don't believe aftermarket pumps are as reliable as you'd think, and you'd run the risk on getting a lemon. Cross that bridge when you get there? From what you describe, pump seems to be good.

My 99 pump is original and has 263k. I don't plan on changing it until it dies. I have always changed the fuel filter though, around 25k. My buddy has a truck just like mine in RCSB '01. Last I asked he was near 375k. I think he's on his 4th pump. He's a parts changer, but still recognizes when it's time to call his mechanic. I'm assuming they were actually all bad? Not sure.

If you have lab scope, you can see the waveform of the commutator from the pump motor, and see what kind of "health" it's in, but I have no idea what DIYer would have a scope, LOL.

Just my opinion. Your call on that one.... of course, by now, probably already have that new pump in the tank?! LOL

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say just keep your pump. I don't believe aftermarket pumps are as reliable as you'd think, and you'd run the risk on getting a lemon. Cross that bridge when you get there? From what you describe, pump seems to be good.

My 99 pump is original and has 263k. I don't plan on changing it until it dies. I have always changed the fuel filter though, around 25k. My buddy has a truck just like mine in RCSB '01. Last I asked he was near 375k. I think he's on his 4th pump. He's a parts changer, but still recognizes when it's time to call his mechanic. I'm assuming they were actually all bad? Not sure.

If you have lab scope, you can see the waveform of the commutator from the pump motor, and see what kind of "health" it's in, but I have no idea what DIYer would have a scope, LOL.

Just my opinion. Your call on that one.... of course, by now, probably already have that new pump in the tank?! LOL

Hah. No, I haven't touched it since my last test drive.

To your point, yeah I agree with all of that. I don't have an oscilloscope either. I briefly worked at a telecom startup and got to play with one every now and then, but mostly watched with interest as the hardware guys did their thing. I probably couldn't even remember how to turn it on now.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We power washed the frame and put the drop shackles and Belltech rear sway on while we had the bed off. I think we got about 2" from the highest hole. Before the top of the frame was well above the top of the tire and now the frame is below the top of the tire.