Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think after today all we need to be legal is seat belts. We'll be robbing the parts truck tomorrow probably.

I decided to re-enable the MAF and make some other adjustments to the tune. It instantly was back to its old behavior of running like crap and maxing out the fuel trims on bank 2. This is starting to piss me off now. Long story short I went back to the MAF disable tune and it was fine and we drove it maybe 2 miles without any issue.

I'm trying to think what that could mean ... If the MAF itself was bad or the wiring to it, wouldn't that effect both banks? it can't be an exhaust leak because the O2s and fuel trims are still enabled in the MAF tune. If there was a leak it will still see that extra oxygen in the gasses and have to make adjustments. It would have to be a vacuum leak that only effects one bank. I guess I get to make my DIY smoke machine now.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been sick with some kind of funk, non-covid, and it's really sapped my desire to work. Anyways, today I hooked up the smoke machine (I actually bought one off eBay) and really didn't find anything. I let it build up max pressure and the only leaks I found were where the PCV hose connects to the passenger valve cover and the oil fill spout. I actually fixed both of those and it made no difference when we started it with the MAF enabled.

Could I have a bad MAF? How would that only effect one side?

I'm pretty close to waiving the white flag and towing it to the guy who tuned my C5. He's got a full shop, mostly works on Corvettes. He's expensive but good. I almost feel bad taking him this turd.

Also we discovered the seat belts on the donor truck aren't going to work. I have some on order, but I was hoping we could really drive it today.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a feeling it wasn't a vacuum leak, but at least you can now rule that out.

Not likely a bad MAF because, like you said, that would affect both banks. Do you have a DVOM with Hertz function? You can check with that, or look at the MAF values on your scanner.

I find it puzzling you aren't getting any codes. My 5.3 truck is running at around 11% LTFT both banks and the check engine light is on. Sometimes it goes away, but it comes back on. It runs fine though. Related to that are some O2 sensor voltage codes. My O2 are okay, because I didn't have any codes before the engine swap.

You you have a test light? Check the injector connectors for pulsing, specifically the lean bank. The light should blink when the engine is running. I think noid lights are the proper tool to do this with, but I've done with a LED test light and it works just fine.

Otherwise, I'd would be double checking the tune.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling it wasn't a vacuum leak, but at least you can now rule that out.

Not likely a bad MAF because, like you said, that would affect both banks. Do you have a DVOM with Hertz function? You can check with that, or look at the MAF values on your scanner.

I find it puzzling you aren't getting any codes. My 5.3 truck is running at around 11% LTFT both banks and the check engine light is on. Sometimes it goes away, but it comes back on. It runs fine though. Related to that are some O2 sensor voltage codes. My O2 are okay, because I didn't have any codes before the engine swap.

You you have a test light? Check the injector connectors for pulsing, specifically the lean bank. The light should blink when the engine is running. I think noid lights are the proper tool to do this with, but I've done with a LED test light and it works just fine.

Otherwise, I'd would be double checking the tune.

I have codes but it's all emissions related. Nothing about misfires or fueling. It's only been run for about 10-15 minutes at a time. It may need longer to set codes.

Instead of noid lights I pulled the clip from each injector while it was running. Noticed an immediate difference on all 8.

I think I'm going to pull the spark plugs here in a bit. Maybe they will tell me something.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you not disable individual injectors with the motor running in HPT? You haven't even scratched the surface of tuning, throwing in the towel for what seems like a mechanical issue would be foolish.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sign?

#8 spark plug is dark all around. 2,4,6 and 3 have some light areas. (I didn't pull 1,5, and 7.) Perhaps a weak coil?

You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you not disable individual injectors with the motor running in HPT? You haven't even scratched the surface of tuning, throwing in the towel for what seems like a mechanical issue would be foolish.

I'm just frustrated. We are only getting a few hours per week to work on it, and I'm nearing my limits as a shadetree mechanic.