LS vs. Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxcob

Reaction score
Champion Labs is based about 50 miles from me, they used to manufacture all their filters in that same town. Was a pretty good paying alternative to coal mining or truck driving for the un/semi-skilled labor pool. About 10 years ago they moved a lot of their filter manufacturing "offshore", i.e. to China.
I used to work there from 2014-2016. welded a bunch of the k&n nuts on cans and ran the drain-back/bypass valve machines along with e-core welders. Also dealt with the big hydraulic and fuel filters, never made it over to the air filter side unfortunately. Most of the filters were still made there in 2016, i.e. Harley, k&n, motorcraft, mercury marine, along with a lot of cheaper options. While i was working there in 2016 'they' left Fram filtration but I'm not sure how that affected the manufacturing of Fram line of filters as they were still being produced when I left. I've always bought wix or amsoil filters just to stay away from the paper elements/plastic valves/plastic cores.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very disheartened by the handful of videos on YouTube that show what's inside of Mobile 1 oil filters. They show/compare several different brands. I was a fan of Mobile 1 (still like the oil) until I saw that the filters are not as good as SuperTech (Wally world stuff that I EXPECTED to be junk). The SuperTech is nearly identical to Wix.
I think we've seen same guy that cuts filters open

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to work there from 2014-2016. welded a bunch of the k&n nuts on cans and ran the drain-back/bypass valve machines along with e-core welders. Also dealt with the big hydraulic and fuel filters, never made it over to the air filter side unfortunately. Most of the filters were still made there in 2016, i.e. Harley, k&n, motorcraft, mercury marine, along with a lot of cheaper options. While i was working there in 2016 'they' left Fram filtration but I'm not sure how that affected the manufacturing of Fram line of filters as they were still being produced when I left. I've always bought wix or amsoil filters just to stay away from the paper elements/plastic valves/plastic cores.
When did they shut down and sell the buildings on 130 going towards Grayville? The boss at the concrete plant over there said they moved a lot of work overseas when that happened.
I used to run out of that plant occasionally, it's owned by the same people who own the plant I was based at.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The anti drain back valve is only important if the filter is mounted horizontal. Oil will not flow up hill with the engine off if the filter is vertical.

The FILTER stays full...but the oil galleries above the filter can drain down to the level of the filter.

jaxcob

Reaction score
When did they shut down and sell the buildings on 130 going towards Grayville? The boss at the concrete plant over there said they moved a lot of work overseas when that happened.
I used to run out of that plant occasionally, it's owned by the same people who own the plant I was based at.
They were still running that warehouse when I was there so sometime after 2016 I'd guess. Sad to hear about that. Never cared for management but it was still an American product at that time.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
The Burb uses AC #PF1218, the '06 uses PF46E. I have old ones of both, sometime I'll cut em open and we'll see how much filter is inside each can. In Texas, for the last several years, if you get caught throwing away oil filters, it's $500 fine per filter. Might be more,now, that's what it was when the law was enacted. And finding someone to take the stupid things has been difficult.
AutoZone also does filter disposal.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
5/10/99 to be exact... earlier than that is the longer filter. After that, it is the short filter.
It was quite a while before all the parts stores got that little detail correct in their books/programs. Mine is a 1/99 truck so I use the long, but I have run both back in the early years. There is nothing quite as satisfying as getting the oil drained and filter off, only to pull out the new filter and it's a different size... and the wife is out shopping in the only other vehicle.
I've always used the bigger filter, regardless. 2wd or 4wd. They both fit, so why not have more media to filter with?