LS vs. Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That big filter looks like the PF832/932 GM heavy duty unit. I used those on my 90 Burb; tall 3/4 ton so I had the clearance. They're basically a 2 quart version of the PF35 standard GM truck oil filter from the square body days. PF1218 is what the Vortec specs out, and the AC version does have an anti drain back valve. Most aftermarket brands of this filter don't have that valve. I think it makes more difference on a 4x4 since the filter is horizontal mounted on the adapter as opposed to the 2wd where it's vertical. If I get much lifter noise on startup, it's because the level is down or the truck is due for an oil and filter change.....but that's just my experience. YMMV

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my newer trucks with LS engines I use WIX 57045 oil filters. They are twice the size of the stock filters. I also machined a new threaded boss with the same M22 threads to use this same filter on my 91 K1500. It is almost the same size filter that originally came on my 350. So now I can order them from rock auto for 3 trucks. I use a 51794 two quart filter on my 454SS and my two 6.5 Diesel engines.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM downsized the filter on the 454 in 99. I suspect that at least part of the downsizing of filters is newer oil technology, not just newer engines.
5/10/99 to be exact... earlier than that is the longer filter. After that, it is the short filter.
It was quite a while before all the parts stores got that little detail correct in their books/programs. Mine is a 1/99 truck so I use the long, but I have run both back in the early years. There is nothing quite as satisfying as getting the oil drained and filter off, only to pull out the new filter and it's a different size... and the wife is out shopping in the only other vehicle.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
5/10/99 to be exact... earlier than that is the longer filter. After that, it is the short filter.
It was quite a while before all the parts stores got that little detail correct in their books/programs. Mine is a 1/99 truck so I use the long, but I have run both back in the early years. There is nothing quite as satisfying as getting the oil drained and filter off, only to pull out the new filter and it's a different size... and the wife is out shopping in the only other vehicle.

My truck is 4/12/99, I think. I use the larger filter, but I've used the smaller pf454 a time or two. For awhile I was using Quaker State filters which split the difference....they're in between. I still have a few left even though Menard's doesn't carry them anymore.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I see that filter doesn't have a bypass valve or anti-drain back valve. Do you have any problems with lifter noise at startup?
None at all. It doesn't need an anti-drain back valve because the filter mounts vertically and doesn't drain with the engine off.
The filter mount has the bypass built in so it doesn't need a bypass either.

With twice the filter area it won't need to bypass much. My Firebird has that filter on a remote mount with no bypass at all.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Even on the 4x4 horizontal mount the oil would need to drain uphill to empty the filter. Frank has a remote mount because like an idiot I pitched the horizontal mount that I had because I thought I wouldn't ever use it.
If anyone has a horizontal mount you don't want I would love it for Frank. I saw a couple on fleabay and by the price they were made of platinum.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even on the 4x4 horizontal mount the oil would need to drain uphill to empty the filter. Frank has a remote mount because like an idiot I pitched the horizontal mount that I had because I thought I wouldn't ever use it.
If anyone has a horizontal mount you don't want I would love it for Frank. I saw a couple on fleabay and by the price they were made of platinum.

I'm guessing your junkyards are few and far between or filled with garbage.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
There are a few. I just can't get there as often as I would like. Not sure if the giant filter would fit sideways on Frank either.

BTW some other filters like the big one are Fram PH273, Napa 1794 (Wix in a NAPA box just drop the "5") and A/C PF932.
I used to get the K&N HP-6002 but I don't trust the quality now. They used to be made in the USA but not any more.