Vortec 5.7 expansion plug size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know the correct expansion plug size for a 1998 GMC K1500 Suburban?
I'm looking for the one on the left side by the oil filter where the engine heater is sitting.
It started leaking really bad and I need to plug it ASAP, I can not drive it like that.
Ill just delete the engine heater as I don't need it.
The parts stores don't know the size.

Thank you

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, this is pretty simple. Did you try looking it up yourself? Did they bother to look it up in the catalog? Instead of computer? Are you doing the repair?
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your location is "Canada". Another block heater is recommended, and easy to install. Pull the block drain on that side, drain the coolant first, and you won't get covered in coolant when the heater comes out.

MAYBE you can buy a new O-ring for the block heater you have, about two dollars. That still leaves the little seal in the middle of the thing which hopefully would re-seal. I've done this before. If the lil' seal in the middle--around the tensioning bolt--leaks, you're kinda screwed in terms of re-using the block heater. Time for a new one.

Block heaters are easy to test--put an ohmmeter on the prongs of the cord (assumes the cord is good--but they're replaceable separately on most heaters.) ABOUT 35 ohms through the flat blades

No continuity from either flat blade to the ground pin.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada, yesterday was a holiday and Lordco was the only parts store that was open.

I was a bit confused as there seem to be different sizes of plugs available.

They said their catalog doesn't tell them what size of a plug I need. I should measure and tell them. I guess the guy was not enticed to spend too much time figuring it out for a $2 part. I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday as it is leaking really bad and i need the car back on the road ESAP.

I later deduced from the size of the heater that I most likely need the 1-5/8 plug. Lets hope it will fit.

The heater started to leak in the middle and now finally the gasket gave away and just dripping everywhere.
I don't need an engine heater where I am so I just want to get rid of it and plug it for good. :)

Thank you.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update.

The the 1-5/8 plug worked.
Surprisingly, everything vent smooth. Finished the job in about two hours.

Thanks